Just a Quick Check-In

It's so nice to have such good friends!

After reading my post about how overwhelmed I was feeling, Kristi got a group of friends from out ward organized to come help me get the girls' room ready for the baby. They came last Thursday and stripped the wallpaper border from the wall, wiped down the walls, and took off the outlet covers. (Wednesday they are coming back to paint the room so it will be fresh and ready for the new baby.) Then two of them stayed to clean my kitchen and left it sparkling. Thank you Kristi, Brandi, Melanie, Becky & Stefanie for all your help!!!! You are too good to me!

The contraction situation has been better, kind of. I haven't had a day this week where I've been unable to do anything throughout the whole day. My OB checked me last Wednesday and said that I'm still not dilating, so that was good news. So I still don't have to go on bedrest. The prescription is still the same as before: don't overdo things, drink lots of water, and get off my feet when I have any contractions. My blood pressure was back down to normal, which was great to hear, especially since I've been swelling a lot lately. (Being pregnant through the desert summer is just miserable. Who planned this again????)

The depressing news from the appointment was that I've now gained forty pounds during this pregnancy. Ugh. Well, my OB doesn't care. She isn't worried about it at all, especially since now I weigh just what I weighed at the beginning of my pregnancy with K. It's me that looks at the scale number and groans. It's probably the only thing that reconciled me to the other bad news that came from that appointment: I failed my glucose test. This morning I go back in for the 3 hour test, lucky me. If you haven't had the privilege of participating in this wonderful test, it starts with at least 8 hours of fasting. Then you head into the office or lab, get your blood drawn for the first time. Next you drink that nasty glucose stuff. Then they draw your blood again every hour for three hours. In the meantime, you are not allowed to leave and you can't eat. Needless to say, I'm already feeling weak and grumpy, and I get to spend all morning in the uncomfortable chairs at my doctor's office. No food until around noon!! My stomach is growling already. (And I'm not really looking forward to getting my blood drawn that often. It makes me a little queasy, even tougher to handle on a completely empty stomach.)

Anyway, by tomorrow or Wednesday I should find out whether they are officially labeling me a gestational diabetic for this pregnancy or not. The extra motivation to eat better would be nice, and I can't deny I felt much better on the eating plan, since it makes me eat balanced meals at regular intervals. But I'm no fan of having to prick myself and check my blood sugar a gazillion times a day. Or my poor little newborn facing crashes in her blood sugar right after birth, and the extra testing that comes along with it. So we'll see. . . I'll keep you updated!

Comments

brooke said…
glad that you have some great ladies to help you out during all this craziness! i'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well with your glucose test too!
Kaycee said…
That is awesome that you had help!
That is great you haven't dialated.
I totally understand the 3 hour glucose test. Not fun. The sugar drink makes me sick! And being at the doctors for so long and blood drawn. Ugh
Abby said…
You have some awfully awesome, sweet friends on your hands, lady. I'm so glad to hear you're being taken care of so well.

Popular Posts