Tough Luck for the Picky Touch Typist

Well, I am attempting to write this with a different keyboard today. We'll see how it goes. I'm picky about keyboards in a way. (Though probably anyone who spends as much time as I do writing on the computer probably cares quite a bit about the keyboard also.) My old, comfortable keyboard bit the dust on me. Various keys weren't working anymore at all, and sometimes even the still-working ones would type in jibberish instead of the letter I was pressing. Odd behavior for a keyboard, but I suspect it may have had something to do with the liberal dousing in water that J gave it last week.

All right, take two with a new keyboard. The last one (a standard-issue Compaq one) required me to press too hard, making my fingers hurt. But this one I'm trying out now is the strangest one of all. I suspect they were going for "ergonomic design" or something, but mostly it's frustrating. It took me a few tries just to figure out where to place my fingers. Instead of the normal, continuous "QWERTY" layout, it has a break in the middle-- a large gap with both sets of keys sloped up on each side. I don't think I'm describing it very well, but let's just say it's awkward. Less awkward than the last one, but
still. . . . Hey, I found a picture so you can see what it looks like:

The keyboard angles up to meet where that break in the keys on the left is. Supposedly this thing is supposed to reduce symptoms of carpal tunnel or other discomfort. I don't know; so far it just feels weird. Does anybody use anything similar? Is it worth the strangeness, and I should just keep on with it until I get used to it?

Even if I decide I can't stand it, I don't think Terence has any more random extra keyboards so I'm just going to have to use this one until I can buy a new one. Sheesh.

Anyway, the original plan was to take a few moments to blog about what kind of day I had yesterday. But since this keyboard is driving me batty (and I keep having to retype everything sixteen times since I can't hit the right keys) I think I'll put this off until tomorrow.

I think it's going to be "essential" that I go shopping tonight and find a new keyboard.

(Maybe I'm a little nuts?)

Comments

Kaycee said…
I don't know what you should do, but you are funny. :0)
Anonymous said…
Ugghh, just looking at it makes me cringe, but I am anal when it comes to keyboards. I CAN'T stand to use my laptop because I detest typing on anything that is not my standard keyboard (the same one I've used for 20 years). Well, I've used appx 10 different keyboards in that time but they're all exactly the same. So I'd never be any help to you. Good luck.

Popular Posts