I'm Being Selfish for a Good Cause!

I stumbled across a link to this book on Instapundit the other day and I was immediately intrigued:

I googled it and found the website for the book, curious to see what would be the author's argument for having a bigger family. (Obviously, I am not against larger families, but I wanted to see what this guy had to say about it.)

It sounds like Bryan Caplan lays out in his book all this research to show why being a parent isn't nearly as hard as we make it out to be. I'm just guessing, since I haven't read the book, but I expect that he is going to refer to studies that show that who we grow up to be has everything to do with biology and little to do with our environment (the old "nature vs. nurture" debate). While I'm a tad bit skeptical of this conclusion (my kids say the exact same obnoxious things that I do and I don't think that is genetic behavior popping out), I'd be grateful for any scientific research that tells me I don't have to feel so guilty about my parenting falling short.

Unfortunately, I don't have any extra book-buying cash at the moment. There is one library in our county network that has the book, but I already tried to request it, and apparently the library that has it won't lend it out. So I'd have to drive an hour to that branch and check it out there. Not going to happen. Oh well.

I did read the excerpt from the book on his website. One part of the introduction made me think for a little bit:

"[P]eople are not having enough children for their own good. Prospective parents need to take another look before they decide not to leap. Current parents need to take another look before they decide not to leap again.

"My theory is not one-size-fits-all. The claim is not that everyone should have lots of kids, but that the average person should have more kids. More than what? More than they were otherwise planning to have. If you live in a tiny urban apartment and love fancy foreign vacations, this might mean one kid instead of zero. If you live in a suburban McMansion and love theme parks, this might mean five kids instead of three. I’m here to provide information,not run your life."

Hmmm. Technically, I'm already in the process of leaping again (for the fifth-- or ninth, depending on how you count it-- time). I wonder what the author would like people like me to consider? Originally, we wanted six kids, then in the process of actually trying to do this parenting thing we revised it down to four, and now we are about to become the parents to five. Should we reconsider that sixth kid after all? Or maybe push it up to eight, since our original goal of six may have not been enough for our own good?

(I'm smiling as I write this. I'm not remotely considering eight kids, Mom, I promise!)

I kind of wish we owned a suburban McMansion though. It would making fitting our family of seven under one roof more comfortable!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your post really set me to thinking about having kids (to or not to). I've always, and even more so now, been glad that I had 5. But mainly it reminded me of my grandmother Leavitt (your great), who after having 15 children (and I think was then past the child-bearing age) said to my mom, "Oh, if I could have just one more baby, I'd be the happiest lady"! I've always thought that was so precious. She was so awesome. And this was in the early 1900's, they were settling HOT Mesquite, were poor as churchmice but didn't know it. They taught the children to work at a very young age. My mom was mixing bread every night when she had to stand on a stool to reach the kitchen table, and she couldn't go to bed until it was mixed. My, how times have changed! ha ha
mom said…
Now we may have a clue as to why Heidi craves those babies thanks to Pete's comment--it is in the genes!! And, yes, Heidi is a happiest lady with a new baby....as for the bread mixing while stnding on a chair before Aunt Nell could go to bed....that trait must have gotten diluted before it reached the next generation.
As to the book--I am intrigued as well...the thought comes to mind that society could be benefited by those who consciously choose to be parents and have whatever it takes to provide basic needs for those little geniuses--I may have to get my hands on the book to read further....
(thaks, Heidi for the reassurance :) Pregnancy does not seem to be your body's favorite stage of life!)
Kaycee said…
I am craving #4! to the world, I am crazy and thats too many, but to me it means Happy times!

Popular Posts