September

Here we are, after Labor Day!

In my childhood, Labor Day was the official end of summer. We had a tradition growing up where we went to Disneyland the day after Labor Day. Back then school didn't usually start until the next week, but the crowds had thinned considerably and it was a great time to go. I always looked forward to the day knowing that it was the last official summer fun activity.

I don't know what to think about Labor Day now. I have no emotional need to "celebrate" the labor movement. (I'm not even really sure why the day became a holiday.) So nothing special on that end. It's not the last holiday before school starts because we've been in school for at least five weeks before it hits. Usually Terence has to work-- it's a big DUI detail weekend. So it's usually just another laid back day where we hide out in the house, unless I trek up to my parents' house to go to the pool. It's too hot to do anything else outside. This year Terence was off (the state can't afford to pay overtime right now), and we had too many chores that needed to get done to treat it like a vacation day.

At least I got to sleep in!

The next thing coming up is M's birthday. We aren't throwing her a birthday party (or at least not a "friend" one). We made the decision years ago that the kids would get to have a birthday party where they invited friends when they turned 8 and when they turned 12. I know in some families that would be cruelty but it has worked really well for us. For one, when you have four kids, trying to throw birthday parties every year for all of them would be a financial boondoggle. And I find them somewhat stressful, so simplified is much better in my book. (Even when we do have a birthday party, it is not a major production.) Part of it was because I saw the crazy expense and competition and stress involved in some of the birthday parties other families were throwing. I didn't want my kids to end up thinking that those things mattered so much. (Especially not competing for the "best" party.) Terence was even less on board with these things since he had not a single birthday party growing up, and he thinks he turned out OK anyway.

We do celebrate the kids' birthdays though. One day (usually Sunday evening) we'll have a "birthday dinner" at my parents' house with my sisters and their families. There is cake and ice cream and presents, and so far, my kids have been thrilled with this. Then on their actual birthdays we have a small immediate family shindig where we have a little cake and candles and open presents. Between the two celebrations, I don't think my kids are missing out much.

Unfortunately for M, her actual birthday this year is going to be less-than-ideal. My parents are out of town, Terence is out of town, and I have a piano lesson to teach. We both also have activity days that night. We've already talked all this through, and I think we'll have her cake at lunchtime (without Daddy) and she'll be OK with it. She's most excited that she'll be turning ten and so going to the "older girls" activity day.

I can't believe my oldest is going to be ten! Time is flying by so fast in every way (except for the pregnancy). Where did my cute little baby go? She's grown into an intelligent, determined, creative, opinionated girl. Not long now and she'll be a teenager. . . now that really makes me feel old.

Comments

Lissy said…
Wow - Time flies! Happy Birthday, Marianne! We are definitely limiting the friend parties too. Even if I wanted to and could afford to splurge - I think it's good for the kids not to have too high of expectations for that kind of thing. I have lots of other ways I prefer showing my love than planning a fancy party.
Kaycee said…
Im just one giant party! I even had a party for the,full moon and called it moon light madness! Its crazy i know. Before kids when,we had money, the parties were more elaberate. now wehave scaled back a lot
Anonymous said…
Oh, KC, you take after your Gram. I've been throwing parties all my life. I've really slowed down tho. And we come by it naturally. Gram Nell was a party planner also. Se had a gazillion growing up. Eight kids, birthdays, dances, halloween parties, christmas parties, and on and on. Sure made life fun. It was always really hard for me having the 3 kids born Jan 5, 7, 8th. I was exhausted after the last one. I like your idea, Heidi. Cindy, my youngest with 5 kids, has friend parties only every other year. Works great.

Popular Posts