A Moment of Stupidity Paid For With a Sleepless Night

I'm starting to get panicky about labor. Did I get panicky in the final weeks last time? I can't remember now. But for some reason, it's really starting to hit me that soon I am going to have to get this baby out, and I just have such a low pain tolerance.

I proved that again to myself last night.

I had decided to take a bath, one of my best ways for getting relaxed and sleepy enough to drop right off when I get into bed, even if I'm as big as a beached whale nowadays. But Terence had just started a load in the dishwasher, and I have a tough time getting enough hot water in my tub anyway, so I had boiled a large pot of water to add to my tepid bath and make it more comfortable. Then I made one of those mistakes that are kind of inevitable when you are the kind of distracted reader I am.

See, I was reading through my booklet from the hospital, refreshing my memory on different natural methods of coping with the pain of labor. And no, I didn't put aside the booklet for long enough to dump in my pot of boiling water. Instead, I had the booklet spread out on the side of the bathtub and I was skimming through a page while I tipped the pot to pour some of the water into the tub. And wouldn't you just know it-- I tipped the flow of scalding water right onto my own hand.

Well, I paid for my stupidity. Boy, did I ever! So much for my bath. Since I was right there, I spent the next 20 minutes running cold water from the faucet over my hand. While I was standing there I went ahead and finished reading the section on labor in the booklet. At the very least I figured it would distract me. But no, eventually the pain was too great and the water from the faucet didn't feel cold enough. I ended up getting a big cup of chilled water from the water cooler and dipping my hand in that for 20 minutes, all the while trying to force the pain out of my mind. I was so exhausted, but I wanted to make sure I had really soothed my skin before I climbed into bed.

Eventually the water wasn't freezing cold any more and my hand was throbbing worse than ever. That's when the panic started to creep in. I tried Dermoplast (that only helped for 2 seconds, tops), lathering my fingers in aloe vera gel, and even resorted to an ice pack (though I know you're not supposed to get your fingers too cold, I didn't care anymore). The ice pack provided enough relief that I thought I could try to get to sleep, but the pack warmed back up before I could drop off.

I tried every relaxation technique that had been described in the book (except the ones that involved massage). I paced the room, I tried deep cleansing breaths and focusing on a point, I attempted mental imagery, I tried to distract myself by reading.

No dice. My hand hurt way too badly to sleep.

I remember desperately praying for help. I just wanted to be able to cope with the pain well enough to sleep. After that I had a thought to try one of the prescription meds my OB had given me for the horrific headaches I had gotten earlier in pregnancy. So I took one of those, got as comfortable as possible in bed, and spent an hour dipping my hand in water and then resting it in front of a fan so the air flow would cool it down. Eventually, I drifted off.

This morning I had a couple of little blisters on my fingers, but for the most part you can't tell I burned myself. It still hurts though. I could kick myself! But what bothers me the most is how desperate and panicky I got last night because it hurt and I couldn't make it stop. If I had been offered an epidural last night, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

If a burn drives me to the point of insanity, how am I going to get through labor?

Comments

kristi said…
I think labor whether your 1st or 5th is scary. Maybe because you are not in control. No matter how much we plan and make prior decisions our bodies and that little baby waiting to enter the world are in control! I also think that we fall into the trap of well other people can- but we are only ourselves, not them.
I think the best we can do is say this is what I hope for... But I accept that I might have to do this...
Then give it to god for the best results for a happy and healthy mom and baby.
I am starting to struggle a bit too, the thought of being cut open for the 3rd time and having no control, the recovery pAin, and the stress worry of alex maybe being in the nicu again with my babies and me alone being sewn up not knowing what is going on is starting to weigh me down.
Hang in their! And heck, if you were suppose to feel a ton of pain epiderals wouldn't have been invented!
Kaycee said…
OUCH! I am sorry you got burnt!

Labor is scary no matter how many births

I think labor pain is easier to get through then a burn or other injury. Because Labor you know that is how it suppose to feel, that is a normal and natural pain to birth a baby. It is ment to hurt. At the end you get a wonderful experiance and a baby. when you get hurt it's not suppose to happen (if you know what I mean) and it's hard to get through the pain because you don't get anything out of it.

I think with preperation mentally and educating your self on natural labor, and determind will power, you CAN do it!

But if you want a epidural, don't feel bad at all. all that matters is a healthy mom and baby.
Ashlie Dalton said…
that must have been an intense burn!! i can't believe it kept you up all night. that's scary. i hope your hand is 100% better by now. and i'm sorry you're freaked out about labor... it is so scary, but you will do fine!

Popular Posts