Recovered Optimism


I had to put the new registration sticker on the van this week so while I was at it, I got around to putting another sticker on my car:



One of the perks of finishing a Ragnar race is that you get this nifty sticker to put on your car. (If you see one without the year, you can be pretty sure that it is someone who does Ragnars all the time so they just leave the year off.) I put the year on with mine, at least for now, because I seriously doubt I will be doing another one any time soon.

Besides, when I pulled the sticker out, it had a very curious effect on me. At this point it feels like I have been pregnant and non-active FOREVER. It's like my triathlete life is in the far distant past, someone that is not me anymore. But that sticker says 2011. And it's still 2011. It really hasn't been that long. Less than a year ago, I ran in a relay race for crazy people. I can't be all that different now. The Heidi who changed her life after having K is not gone forever-- I can be that active again.

My sister Amy is already signed up to run in the 2012 Ragnar Del Sol. It's funny because I seem to remember whispering together in the middle of the night in some crowded gymnasium during the last race and both of us swearing we would never do this again. But guess what? I envy her. Not that I would ever choose to captain a team again, but I envy her the adventure. (I told Amy that and she suggested I join the team she's on. Well, the active me may not be lost forever, but I'm sure not going to be ready to take on a Ragnar three months after giving birth. That will have to wait a bit.)

But give me a year. . . I plan to be right back on track!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's the spirit!! I had not heard the word Ragnar until I read about it in your blog, and you did a fantastic job of telling us all about it. Since then, my daughter and granddaughter ran in one in August. It was exciting to know and understand just what they were going through.
Kaycee said…
That is awesome! I wish I was in that kind of shape.
I see those stickers around and it makes think of you.

Popular Posts