Bottle Thief

With the exception of M, each one of my babies has had an older sibling who was in the 2-3 years old range.  But never before have I had a toddler or preschooler so obsessed with the baby bottles and pacifiers as K is.  This is a first in my family!

I've done my best to wean my kids from pacifiers at about six months and bottles by one year, so K hasn't had either for a long time now.  I doubt he can even remember it.  But he is sure interested in them now.  Any time I am not looking, he steals S's bottles.  Then he takes them apart, either drinks the formula or pours it on the carpet, and hides the various bottle parts in different places.  Several times Terence or I have collected the bottles to wash only to find that we are missing a nipple or a ring or occasionally the bottle itself.

It's not just the bottles.  He's the worst with the pacifiers.  He takes them any time he can and only sometimes will he lead me to where he's put them.  One afternoon I took a short nap with S on the couch.  When I fell asleep S had her pacifier in her mouth, but when I woke up (maybe ten minutes later) it was nowhere to be found.  I pulled all the couch cushions apart and scoured the floor, sure that it must have fallen while we were asleep.  Nope.  In desperation I asked K about it (though I was sure he couldn't have taken it without waking me up) and he proudly led me right to where he had chucked it in the hallway.  Sneaky boy.

S (like her siblings before her) is partial to a specific kind of pacifier and during the last two months I've spent near $20 replacing them.  Frustrating!  Once again I'm down to only one pacifier that S likes, and I live in dread of losing it.  I guess it's time again to cough up the cash and buy some extras.

Lately K's fascination with the bottles seems to be evolving a bit, but I don't know if it's for the better.  He's taken to trying to mix bottles on his own.  He steals a clean bottle, dumps some of the formula (aka powdered gold, judging by the price) in it, and fills it with water from the sink.  Then he attempts to put a nipple and ring on, which usually just leads to a mess.

Maybe he's going to grow up to be a chemist or something?  I like that idea better than him growing up to be a master thief!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Kyle sounds like a handful! Funny handful. I can't believe he drank the formula. Ew.

Popular Posts