Finality

Eight weeks old tomorrow-- S, that is.  Has it been that long already?  I guess it has.  She's smiling now-- not all the time, but if she's not too sleepy or fussy and you smile at her, she busts out these big grins that crinkle up her eyes.  It's adorable!

Yesterday I had my post-D&C/postpartum checkup with my doctor.  I guess everything is looking good and I am now cleared to get back to normal exercise, sex, tampons, swimming and taking baths (oh, finally!).  All of those things are rather pleasant parts of my life so I'm glad to get them back.  (OK, tampons aren't exactly pleasant but I far, far prefer them to pads, and it makes my time of the month significantly less depressing.)  As of now, at least, I will not need a hysterectomy (which I was going to have to consider if the bleeding didn't stop).  Since it has died down to occasional spotting, we are assuming that the hemorrhaging problem has been solved.  (I'm not 100% confident that all the problems are gone because I quite vividly remember my mom's problems with bleeding and that went on intermittently for several years.  Once I've had a few normal periods and I'm back to jogging and there is no gushing, then I'll relax.)

The biggest life changing decision that I made at the doctor appointment was to arrange for a tubal ligation.  Yes, I'm getting my tubes tied.  The doctor feels that another pregnancy would not be a good idea, and after considering our options, this one felt like the best one.  Still, I feel sad about it.  This is a no-going-back decision; I will never have another baby.  And even though Terence and I had already decided that S was going to be the last, it's still a little bittersweet.  Part of me hopes I'm not making a mistake.  After all, for quite awhile, Terence and I had insisted after K that we were done, and what if we had done something permanent after him?  We would have missed out on sweet little S, and I already can't imagine life without her.  However, I know I can't keep on having babies indefinitely just because I would love each one that came into my life.  There is a limit to what my body can handle, and I need to be healthy to care for the babies I have.

It's just strange because when I was younger I thought that having children would be so simple.  I didn't know that the whole process would help me experience the highest highs of my life and the most excruciating pain and create some of the most perplexing dilemmas.  It's not just a simple matter of saying, "I want three kids, I'll have them three years apart, and we'll have the first one exactly two years after we get married" and then sailing through with the plan, with comfortable pregnancies, exhilarating deliveries, and tender moments of bonding with your newborns.  Reality has been anything but simple and straightforward!

Any of you ladies who have finished having children have some advice for me?  How did you become comfortable with the idea of being done?  Was it easy or hard?  What helped you make the decision?

Comments

The Hatch's said…
I think that after having the difficulties that I had with my last pregnancy Spencer and I both thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to go through that again. I totally had the same feelings of finality that you are having but knew our decision was for the best. I also firmly believe that if you are suppose to have more children then the Lord will make that happen no matter what you do. How many people do you know that have had kids after having some sort of surgery. I know a bunch so I think it will happen if it's suppose to. Just pray about it. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear but it usually helps.
Erin said…
Mya is 3 1/2 and I still wonder at times if we're really ”done”. I know that another pregnancy would not be a good idea for me mentally, physically, emotionally, etc. But, like you, the FINALITY of it is what bothers me. Aren't we too young to be done having kids? I wish I had gotten that lightning bolt when Mya was born so I knew she was the last. Now I have to just trust my own decision and hope Heavenly Father trusts me too.
Hope said…
After Skylar (#2) born 16 weeks early, we thought we might be done. But I wasn't sure. Then came Asher...we call him our happy ending. He is and always has been the happiest child. He is 4 now and although we haven't done anything permanent we are done. I have ups and downs. I feel like anytime you transition from one stage of life to the next it takes some getting used to. Now that we are totally out of the baby phase, I feel more comfortable with the decision. But I just LOVE babies so...I just get my fix from nieces and nephews and get some sleep. Good luck. I truly believe that a healthy mom is a fabulous idea. :-)
Dinie56 said…
My children are older but after my youngest daughter was born, there was happen a lot bad things in my life, I decide to do a surgery so no children anymore. The day I went to the hospital I felt sad, after the surgery I felt down but thought, oh well you just have a surgery and things will be fine later on. For years after that I felt not complete anymore. I went to the doctor and one week later the tubes where open again, I didn't want a child but 12 years after my youngest daughter, my son was born and since than I was happy. We all have to make hard decisions sometimes but when we pray about it and listen very careful to the Spirit, we will feel what is right or wrong to do. Those things are very personal Heidi, but for me the fact that I couldn't have children anymore did hurt me very bad.Please, don't make your decision to fast, if there is no other baby waiting to be in your family, you will know it, if there is one than it will come, or you want that or not. Maybe you can't do anything with this answer but I wanted to share it with you.
When I was younger, I thought I would want thee or four children, and when Carl and I got married, we were both thinking three or so. I struggled with motherhood after having Abigail, and she was a great baby. Two years later we had Bryant, and though he was a good baby, Carl was done having children. Motherhood is hard for me. Being a housewife is also hard for me. I was told in my patriarchal blessing that motherhood would be paramount in my life. If I had more kids, I would be too tired and wore out and unhappy to enjoy it. Plus, I had this fear that if we had decided to have a third child, I would have ended up having twins, and I knew that would push me over the edge. I felt so selfish making the decision to have a hysterectomy, but at the same time, I had to do what was best for me and my family. I know we've been commanded to multiply and replenish, but I also know that the Lord wants me to be happy. Having my hysterectomy was one of the best decisions I made. There is great freedom in not having to worry about monthly bleeding issues and birth control. I still have my ovaries, so I don't have to take hormones. The Lord knows the desires of your heart and the thought that went into your decision.
kristi said…
Remember a while ago we were talking about the catholic hospital that was stripped if its catholic status because it gave a woman an abortion? I think she already had 3 or 4 children and the baby she was currently carrying would have resulted in her dying. We talked awhile about what a horrific decision she had to make give life to her child while losing hers or say goodbye for now to her child and be there for her other babies who needed hers.

I guess I almost think this is in a way your decision... If you became pregnant again there is a huge chance you could lose your life. And yes, I agree with God all things are possible but I also believe that we have free choice and God can't stop all the bad.

I would be the last person to ever advocate for a woman to permanently chose to have more children - after going through ivf's just to have my own, being able to have children is one of the greatest gifts we are given and it's devasting to not be able to have them. But God also opens doors when another closes. There were many times when we thought we would have to be done and a door opened that allowed for another fertility treatment.

Follow your heart! You will know what is best for you and your family! Sometimes best is not always easy though...
Becky said…
I, like you, thought Nate would be the last; but I struggled with doing something completely permanent "just in case" something changed. My health was an issue; physically and emotionally as well; because keeping up with 5 was a big job for me. So, I did the IUD; which has been very easy for me. It lasts 10 years; which by then I should be going through menopause anyway. After having Nate, it didn't take long for those baby cravings to go away. I just felt comfortable and at peace with my 5. I didn't want to be in a wheelchair to have #6! There's always a part of me that remembers those times in the hospital holding that sweet little baby - those are moments never to be forgotten - but cherish those memories and look forward to having those similar feelings with grandchildren and continue enjoying the ones you have!
Shirley R. said…
This is a tough decision to make. My question is if you got a confirmation that this is the best choice why r u asking? The wording in the priesthood manual says they highly discourage it... but that it is up to you and your husband. Plus your medical issues need to be considered. For me I was told that what is sealed on earth is sealed in heaven. Too many what if's came to my mind and even though my physical body can not take another pregnancy, I didnt want to communicate with God that I never wanted to have more children. Never is a very long time.
Ashlie Dalton said…
Anything permanent is scary but you don't want to put your health at risk either! I struggle with this too... I want another one now but I'm terrified that I'll have problems like I did with max and that one or both of us may not make it through. Bottom line is that your kids need their mommy. I hope you can feel at peace with your final decision.
by: Kim said…
I always knew that I wanted 4 children and when the 4th one was born I knew I was done. I didn't have any problems during any of my pregnancies. My problems started a couple of years after my 4th was born. I ended up having a tubal ligation(my doctor didnt believe in hysterectomy's) which I was fine with however it didn't eleviate the bleeding problems that I was having. So I lived with the problems for two more years by that time I was a hormonal wreak(losing blood all the time will do that to you). I started going to an OB/GYN instead of a general doctor for my female stuff. I finally had a hysterectomy (at 33). It was a blessing I should have done it two years before. I am a much better person to live with. I do still have my ovaries and have never had any problems. I don't regret our decision. It was what was best for me and my family.
The most important thing is to pray about it, which I am sure you have done, then do what ever you feel is best for you and your family. You have five other children depending on you for the rest of their lives.

Popular Posts