A Silent Plague

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get out and go to our ward's Relief Society birthday dinner.  (Hmm, for those of you who are not Mormon, that may sound like I'm speaking another language.  Translation: I went to an activity celebrating the women's organization that is part of my church congregation.)  Anyway, I was asked to share a few thoughts about Relief Society, and I ended up talking a little about my postpartum depression after B and the older sister name Frieda, who essentially saved my life one bleak day, though she never knew it.  It's not a story I'm comfortable sharing, but at the time I felt prompted to do so.

What amazed me was the number of women who approached me afterward to share their own horror stories of contemplating suicide.  Most instances were when these women had new babies or very young children and they felt beyond overwhelmed.  The stories I heard were not casual instances of having a bad day, but awful depression that they felt like they barely survived.  One sister (whose children all are teenagers or young adults now, and they are a good group) told me that she came very close to calling CPS herself and telling them to come take her kids before she hurt them or herself.  I've also had a few very private conversations with a couple of friends over the years who have also had horrific bouts of some version of depression.  With all of these women, I never would have guessed until they opened up and shared with me how hard it had been.

This goes against all the conventional wisdom that serious postpartum depression only affects a small percentage of women, and I've been pondering it since that night.  Maybe it's not postpartum depression at all, and just severe depression that affects many women who are trying to raise children and are feeling overwhelmed.  But I wonder if it has always been like this, or if it is more common now because of something in our culture.  Did our great-grandmothers have this much of a struggle with it too, only there was too much of a stigma to talk about it?  Or do we have a bigger problem with it today, perhaps because of environmental or social causes?  Do other sisters in other countries have the same problem with it that we do?

Sometimes I wonder if it isn't the unrealistic expectations we have for ourselves and our children.  We feel like we have to be perfect mothers or we will screw up our children for life.  I know that nothing makes me feel worse than feeling like I'm hurting my children or failing them in some way.  And maybe it's just me, but I feel like the current generation of mothers has been taught that if you yell at your children or you spank them, if you aren't a fountain overbrimming with patience at all times, then you are physically or emotionally or verbally abusive.  Yet most of us (if not all of us) are not paragons of patience.  We don't always handle things right with our children.  We spank or we yell and sometimes we fall pathetically short of our standards, and because of the expectations that are on us, we secretly wonder if we are such bad mothers that our children would be better off without us.  And if we are no good for our children, what is the point in living?

You see where this thought process goes.

I've been considering what could be done to help.  If so many women struggle with this at some point in their lives, it's a serious problem.  Yet none of the women I know who have had issues with it come out and tell you when they need help.  Part of the game is to keep pretending to everyone else that you are fine.  So how do we figure out who needs help and what we can do?

Does anybody have any ideas?

Comments

Lissy said…
I wonder if it was like that in the past too, or something that's gotten worse with our society today and how easy it is to share and compare information - are we more aware of how we present ourselves to others and of so many super cool things some people do that we feel we have to be more perfect, and kicking ourselves more when we aren't? I think we probably overanalyze things more than the pioneer women did! Maybe all the modern conveniences have freed us up to have other problems. The scriptures say the last days are going to be the hardest - maybe it's because these emotional downward spirals we set ourselves on. Especially since they can be hard to detect in each other to give the kind of support that's needed. I think one of the best things we can do is treat everyone we meet with the kindness and love we want and the idea that you just never know... I so appreciate your sharing these things!!
Anonymous said…
As you know, I'm the age of your grandparent, so my 5 children were born 1955 to 1966. I had never heard of postpartum depression and don't remember of ever being depressed. I do know that life was not as easy then, as far as conveniences go, but you did your best with what you had. The only depression I remember was after the birth of my 4th. They MADE us stay in the hospital 7 days, and I cried every day because I was so homesick for my kids. Life is very different now!
kristi said…
I think we are so busy with our lives we don't have as much time for our friends. I have had Alex's mom or my parents here for help but i am so lonely. I just want people to come see my babies hear my birth story talk about their life and my life. Heck we could talk about the news! Going to the park this week was so wonderful! I came home ready to tackle crying babies Williams neediness homework and dr appt. just to have some adult conversation and someone to tell me to stop googling and who understands the craziness of kids is so helpful! I'm sure everyone is different but for me don't offer to bring dinner offer to come visit. :). So I understand how you say Frieda saved you - talking to someone means a lot!
Sorry if this is rambling tough day with crying babies-Jaxen who is usually calm has been rough and Alex stayed home so I cancelled Stephanie coming over so I was mad at him today for ruining my time-being mad takes a lot of energy!
kristi said…
Oh and I totally agree we have unrealistic expectations! I am struggling with not being able to keep up with things but feel I should! And trying not to beat myself up over it. Ahhh. Perfect lives perfect bodies perfect houses perfect kids .....
Maybe perfect needs to be eliminated from the dictionary!
Stefanie said…
I've been doing some family history and wondering how my great grandmothers survived all the loss that they did. Several loss children in infancy or childhood. That would be so hard. I don't have the journals to tell me exactly what happened or how they coped. I'm guessing they felt the same way we feel just maybe called it sadness or grief or maybe didn't talke about it. I don't know. I like what Lissy said, I think it is a little bit tougher for each generation. I love the Relief Society for the support it gives each one of us. I hope that I can bless someone's life like Frieda did for you.
Kaycee said…
I'm glad you wrote this post because things like this are real and no one feels like they can talk about them. People only want to hear positive things. In my life I've had to deal with Grief from others if I write or talking about any emotion I may be having if it's less then positive. So I feel I can't share my true feelings. Then when I hear of all these moms who are so fun, creative, and always have a clean house and never has anything negative to say about life or being a house wife/Mom. I get more depressed because I feel abnormal and like a failure of as mom and wife. That's why I love your post. Because you keep things real and most mom's can relate.
I've had depression, but haven't ever thought of suicide. But my mom did when we were young. Also my sister is having a real hard time right now with being happy with her 4th child on its way. She is having bad depression (it wasn't a planned pregnancy ) it's more common then people think. But no one feels like they can say or talk about it because people only want to hear positive things.

Popular Posts