Weather Whiplash

Ah, the confusing weather of spring.  I remember that when I lived in Utah, spring would drive me nuts.  It would really warm up and be so nice, making me think that winter was finally on its way out.  And then the next week it would snow, dashing my hopes into millions of tiny pieces.  It's not quite so bad here in Arizona.  We can be pretty sure that when it starts to warm up in March, it really is going to stay warm.  (The only guessing game is whether we will have an out-of-the-blue high 90's day.)  But the last couple of years we've had at least one spring storm that rapidly thrusts us back into winter.  Last year it happened during the kids' spring carnival at school and I was not prepared at all.  We were all there wearing shorts and I had no jackets for anyone.  I think K turned into a chattering ice cube before I finally called it quits and loaded up the kids.  (We blasted the heat all the way home.)

This weekend it was time for some winter nostalgia again.  Friday was beautiful.  In the 70's, a little windy but still not too cold.  Saturday was freezing and a little wet.  We didn't get much rain, just enough to add to the freezing temps.  But that didn't faze any of us-- my dad still took J and Bryson fishing, the Country Thunder concert down in Florence went on, I still went for my morning jog with B tagging along on her bike, and I took the three youngest on a short hike.  Brrr!!  When we got to the top of the hill that wind was cold!

Here we are at the start of the trail.  It was S's first trip in the backpack, she  loved it!

At top of the hill-- they don't look too cold.

B's attempt at getting me and S.  Kind of cut off  my head, but not bad for a 6 year old.

Today the cold weather is moving out and we can expect to be in the 70's again.  Beautiful spring!  I am relishing it while it lasts.  Can't be much longer.  May is usually when it starts getting hot.  Our first triple digit day will come sometime next month or possibly in June if we are lucky.  Then the indoor season begins, and we will have to stop hiking until fall.  I'll miss it, our Saturday hiking tradition has been a lot of calorie-burning fun!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Weather whiplash is a good name for spring.
cute kids you have there!

Popular Posts