All is NOT Quiet on the Southwestern Front

Oh boy, the last couple of days I have wished in vain for better coping skills-- or at least selective hearing.  S has been crying a lot more than normal. . . she's going through a "Mommy, hold me" phase and if I ever need a break or to get something done she fusses after only a minute or two of being put down.  (For example, she is on the floor next to me but she's fussing right now.)  I also just towed K to his room and made him sit on his bed when I could not stand his crying any longer either (he's mad because J won't share his candy with him).  A headache has been plaguing me more or less for three days now and my to-do list is long and heavy indeed.  I have all these not-quite-finished remodeling projects as well as all my standard stuff weighing on my mind.

Just to make things more challenging, yesterday I inflicted a huge dose of parenting guilt on myself by reading a book on helping your children become good readers.  Afterward I felt awful for all the ways I am not helping B and K start on the path of lifelong learning and for the amount of video games my kids play.  (The book left me feeling that my kids are going to grow up to be illiterate, obese couch potatoes who dream of violence because of all the game time.)  Not long before lunch Terence was teasing me about something (I don't remember what) but I just exploded at him, screamed at him to stop.  He was baffled at why one minute he had a cheerful, normal behaving wife (or so he thought) and the next she was a hysterical madwoman.  Well, it all just became too much to bear.  The load seemed so heavy I had to scream (which I guess I did).

Sheesh, what a basket case I am.

I really hoped today would be better, but so far it hasn't been.  Even with meds my headache is getting worse, not better.  And I still have church to tackle . . . wish me luck, I am going to need it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So sorry, Heidi. Life can get very hectic sometimes. I remember well those days. Many times with 5 I thought I'd lose my mind. Take some deep breaths, remember how loved and vital you are, and prioritize what is more important...kids (family) or "to do" list. I'm praying for you. Big hugs.
Kaycee said…
I'm sorry. You've explained how i feel a lot of the time. Kids and life is hard. You have a lot on your plate.

Popular Posts