Dreadful Dementia

My brain cells are dying off fast.  Too fast.  It's worrisome how scatterbrained I am now even when I'm not sleep deprived.  Any mother can attest to this "kids make me dumber" phenomenon but the last few days have been really bad.  I've sat down with my journal in hand (yes, I still keep an actual paper-and-ink journal) and found I could barely write a coherent sentence.  I found it extremely difficult to plan my Sunday School lesson and even more difficult to try and teach it.  It was like my thoughts refused to line up and make sense.  Monday morning I could barely remember what my kids needed for school-- fortunately my kids pretty much have this particular routine down (they pack their own lunches, get their own water bottles and make sure they have everything in their backpacks) so it didn't matter so much that I couldn't seem to remember what exactly used to be involved in our school routine.

The most pathetic example of my recent brain fade came on Monday morning.  I had planned to drop the older kids off at school and then go straight to Walmart and get the grocery shopping done.  But when it came time to leave, I couldn't find my purse anywhere.  I probably wouldn't have found my keys either, except the M stepped in and brought my keys to me while I was frantically running around.  I thought about calling Terence (he had taken off earlier for the gym), but my cell phone was in my purse.  Racking my brain, the last time I could remember having my purse was at my parents' house the night before.  I had specifically put it down on the desk in my mother's kitchen so I would be certain to remember to take it with me when we left.  But I couldn't remember bringing it out to the car.  With no cell phone, I had no way to call my mom and check if it was there.

By this point I was out of time for any more searching.  I loaded the kids in the van and we headed off to school.  During the drive, I decided that I would just have to head up to my mother's house and get my purse.  I figured most likely it had to be there since I had not found it anywhere in my house.  Once I picked up my purse the trip wouldn't be in vain-- I could make a run to our bank while I was up there and then hit a different Walmart on the way home.

But guess what?  We made the 45 minute drive to my mother's house only to learn that my purse was not there.  So I had to turn around and make the long drive back home without getting either the bank errand taken care of or the grocery shopping done.  If only I could remember where I had put my stupid purse!!

Terence found it when he got  back from the gym.  It was sitting on the bed in the boys' room.  Right where I had dropped it the night before when I had taken K to his room.  I guess I need a GPS locator for my keys and for my purse.  Only way someone with mommy dementia this terrible can get by!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness, you're still so young. ha ha That is a "senior thing", of which I suffer often. I hope it goes away and leaves you alone. Not fair.
Kaycee said…
I think it's because you have SO much on your plate you can't think straight.

Popular Posts