A Squick of Energy

Today was a pretty blissful day.  I actually got my kitchen counters cleaned off and tackled my filthy stove and microwave.  What brought on this kind of energy, you may ask?

Why, a combination of a big decision to make and a lack of a headache.

The decision is related to Terence's work, and we sat and discussed it a bit this morning.  It left me feeling hopeful-- that's all I'll say about that right now because things are in the very early stages and our decision isn't made yet.  But hopeful about the future isn't something I've felt for awhile.  The novelty gave me quite a jolt of energy!

The other novelty of my day was that after a week of having a headache every day (ranging from mild to skull-cracking), I woke up pain free and stayed pain free all day.  (Well, at least until now, and the day is nearly over.)  There's nothing like feeling well after a long stretch of discomfort to lead to enthusiasm bubbling over even into chores.

What is it with these headaches??

As a young teen I got awful headaches.  We finally figured out that I was getting them from reading every night in an awkward position and messing up my neck.  Some chiropractor visits, a change in reading habits, and voila! The headaches went away.  After that, for years I only had an occasional headache, nothing out of the common mill.  However, a few years back (honestly, I can't remember when exactly) I started getting headaches more frequently.  And they weren't mild.  Sometimes they completely incapacitated me.

They don't seem to be migraines (at least not as Abby described hers, nor from what I've read on the internet).  They do often affect one side of my head more than anything else.  Bright light does not seem to make them worse, though loud sounds often do.  Oddly enough, sometimes jogging will make my headache feel much better-- at least until the minute I am done, when the headache returns with a vengeance.  (Why would this happen?  Seems like all the bouncing around would just make my head scream during the run.)  For a long time I thought maybe dehydration was causing them, but after tracking my water intake on the food diary along with my headaches, I don't think that's it.  My diet does not differ remarkably during long headache-free stretches either.

Now what should I do about them, if anything?

I HATE going to the doctor.  Really hate it.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this.  And I have no extra money to spend on co-pays right now anyway.  So I don't really want to go to my primary care dude and ask about it.  I've had several people suggest things that they think I should try, but I'm not willing to turn myself into a guinea pig and try everything and anything in the hopes the headaches will stop.  (Again, partly because I have no extra funds.  Also because I loathe being a guinea pig.  Change and all that.)

But if they are going to keep coming, I need to find a way to cope with them.  Life has to go on, even when Mom's feeling terrible.  In the meantime, I am savoring my headache-free days.  Fingers crossed I get another tomorrow!

Comments

Stefanie said…
I too get headaches frequently and understand how hard it is to function while suffering. And trying a much of weird remedies always sounds daunting and overwhelming. Good luck and I hope that you find relief soon.
Kaycee said…
I am anxious to hear about the future of Terences job.
those headaches sound awful, I think I would rather go to the doctor.

Popular Posts