Conquering the Four-Letter Word of Despair

Ah, being on a diet. This is the life!

Actually, any other time in my life when I've dieted, I've been miserable. As in grumbling every morning when I get up and anxiously awaiting the day when the scale releases me from continuing the torture.

Before I got pregnant with K though, I had had it with diets. I vowed never to put myself through such pain again (especially since I never really had any permanent results.) Instead I was going to just make some healthy lifestyle changes, and hopefully that would help over the long run.

I've already shared how my pregnancy was a miraculous diet of its own kind, but since having K I've been doing the Beck Diet Solution. It fits in with my "I don't really want to diet" thinking. Instead I've been learning some general habits that have been helping, while sticking (mostly) to the gestational diabetes eating plan I was already on. It's been nearly six weeks now, so the Beck program is almost over. She gives you assignments every day, and today's assignment is to share the new habits I've learned, so here goes:

  • Planning out my meals ahead of time
  • Keeping a food diary
  • Scheduling exercise every day (and doing it!)
  • Eating slowly while sitting down
  • Eating without distractions (like reading)
  • Talking back to negative thoughts in my head
  • Saying "Oh well" when I'm discouraged and keeping on anyway
  • Celebrating my success!

This is working really, really well for me-- if you happen to want to lose weight but are tired of failing at diets, you may just want to give this a try.

Comments

Kaycee said…
That sounds like a great plan! I am glad it's working for you!
losing weight is soooooooooooo hard!
Anonymous said…
I'm proud of you. It is such a difficult thing. Been doing it my entire life. Right now, my biggest problem is NOT exercising. I swear every day I'm gonna start but it gets put aside somehow or other. Keep up the good work. Hurrah!
Ashlie Dalton said…
Love it Heidi! I am also in the "process" of losing the pregnancy weight (yes, I know...it's been TWO years... pathetic). I'm going to be starting a blog about it I think. I'll let you know when and if I do!

Popular Posts