President or Celebrity?

OK, this is really weirding me out. I guess I just got so used to President Bush, who with whatever his faults, was really a dignified president. He never argued back at the media, hogged the spotlight, or insisted on being in our faces all the time. He dressed respectful of his office and acted like I would expect the president of our nation to do.

I know Ronald Reagan has been the butt of many jokes over the years because he had been a movie star in his earlier years, but Obama seems to want to be a movie star now. Forget being president! Hype and paparazzi, celebrity treatment seem to be more his style. Just in the last couple of days I've seen more of Obama in the oddest venues. He appears on Jay Leno one night, and the very next morning when I'm at the gym he's appearing on one of the morning talk shows. Walmart has posters for sale of a debonair Obama declaring "Yes, We Can!" This morning on facebook my celebrity stories sidebar is headed by one about Obama (followed by one about the Watchmen movie actor and then Anna Nicole Smith's shrink. You know, OK magazine kind of stuff.)

Is Obama starring in a new movie coming out or something?????

My word, man, get back to doing your job!!! You're not up for the Oscar award of Best President! If you're not careful you'll end up being as popular (and despicable) as Bill Clinton!

Comments

Kaycee said…
You said! I totally agree! I don't need to say more, you have said it all!
Anonymous said…
I think you've just expressed all of our thoughts. Thank you, Miss Heidi!
Hip-Hip-Hurrah!
Abby said…
Well, a lot of that is the media itself and its love affair with Obama. I hardly think Obama is behind every bit of publicity he gets, regardless of what conspiracy theorists believe. Obama is young, attractive, intelligent, and appeals to youthful voters. Youthful voters are largely who are reading a lot of these news stories and magazine articles. Much like the press followed the young Kennedy family around like crazy in the 60s, they're going to do the same with this one. It's not often a young family moves into the White House and it's exciting for everyone and the media is going to get as much mileage out of the fascination with these folks as it possibly can. So I don't buy the whole argument that Obama is intentionally trying to be a celebrity; rather he is intelligently appealing to his supporters in venues where they're likely to be found. A little good will (appearing on Leno and stuff like that) goes a long way with folks and Obama knows that. He may be president, but being not stupid either, he knows the crowd that got him elected and who will elect him again.
Heidi said…
I agree with you Abby in that the media is obsessed with him, but that's still only part of it. And maybe it's "good" tactics to appear on Leno and morning talk shows but I still think the man has an ego a mile wide and it's overkill when he has more important things to do. For someone who had read his book and liked him long before he ran for president, the more I see of him, the less I like him, and I don't think I'm the only one.
Abby said…
Naturally he has more important things to do. But part of his job is appearing to be accessable to his bosses, which is everyone in America. If he only holed up in the White House all day people wouldn't like him, and unfortunately that's a big aspect of being in public office. I absolutely agree he has an enormous ego, but that has never surprised me. Honestly, you would have to be pretty impressed with yourself to believe you could lead an entire country, let alone the United States. None of this surprises me in the least. At least he isn't talking about his underwear on MTV.

Popular Posts