Great (Mistaken) Expectations

I grew up in a land that didn't really experience autumn. San Diego is, of course, a mellow weather place, and though I didn't know how spoiled I was, I also didn't know what I was missing out on. I got my first taste of what real fall could be like when I went off to college in Utah, but even then, it was still kind of a desert-y autumn.

My eyes were opened when I experienced my first autumn back east. At the beginning of my mission I lived on Long Island in New York, and the first twinges of the cooler weather were fluttering in just before I transferred into the city. I had never experienced anything like it. The brilliant orange and gold flocks of trees, the mellow (not warm) days followed by crisp evenings where you need a jacket and cuddling before a fire sounds lovely. Not that I ever got to cuddle up with a cute guy before a fireplace as a missionary, but just the idea of it was pleasant.

When October arrived I had moved to Queens, but I also got the full excitement of real fall weather and a season where I could actually feel Halloween approaching. All those long-sleeved sweaters and jeans and boots you see in the catalogs (and even in the stores) were actually comfortable to wear. And the smells. . . OK, I admit, Queens didn't smell very nice where I lived, but as a missionary I got around and there were a couple of large parks where we could pretend we were out on the Island. It smelled heavenly there.

These autumn experiences were so new and poignant that they remain distinct in my memory today, rather torturously so. If there is one season the Sonoran Desert doesn't have, it's fall. We basically skip from summer to a low-desert mild winter (the kind that the snowbirds flock here for). Late September through October is the hardest time of year for me because as we begin the countdown to Halloween, I keep expecting it to get cool. And every year I am disappointed and it seems to take FOREVER to cool down. Today, for example, is supposed to be anywhere from 102-107 degrees (depending on whose forecast you believe). Seriously!

At least our Walmart is finally starting to get a clue. Instead of being fully stocked with clothing appropriate to autumn in New England, they still have their racks of swimsuits out on display and the sleeveless shirts haven't been clearanced out yet. Took them long enough to get a clue. It's still summer here! Now I just need to get my own brain wrapped around that idea. Maybe if I just stopped expecting fall to arrive, it wouldn't be so bad, right?

Comments

Stefanie said…
We should get together and cry. I have the hardest time in fall with homesickness. Colorado has beautiful fall weather and I really miss the crisp, cool, clean air and the colorful leaves. As I child, I loved fall because it meant that snow and Christmas would be soon approaching. Its hard to live here sometimes. I think its funny when natives talk about the good weather we have in the winter. Pretty much we have get a week at Christmas and months of summer. Not such a good trade-off to me.
Amy said…
I always HATE arizona in September - October because I always think its going to cool down and then it doesn't and I curse myself for moving here. I can handle 106 in July, I expect it but I still can't wrap my head around 106 in September/October and it riles me up (its my own fault of course since its like this every year) but once November hits I calm down (until we hit 100 degrees in March and the same thing happens again)
VKMyers said…
Can I join the party? I have the hardest time during the "fall", too. I miss all the trees changing colors and being able to break out sweaters (one of my favorite things to wear), and just smell the crispness in the air. And it doesn't help when I talk to family and they are telling me the highs are in the low 70s and it's getting down into the 30s at night when it is still in the 100s during the day and 80s at night here. It's this time of year I really start bugging Clayton about wanting to move somewhere with 4 actual seasons. Yes, the winter is nice, but I miss snow and all that good stuff, too. *sigh*
Anonymous said…
I live all year for fall here in Utah. I LOVE the changing seasons and welcome winter. Summer is my hardest season, since my body doesn't like heat. I couldn't exist in the heat so couldn't live anywhere else (unless forced to). My hooray for Utah weather. Of course, everyone else who lives here complains like crazy about the winter, but I look forward to it!
Kaycee said…
Iam sorry, that would be a bummer. I like living in place with seasons. that sounds so hot! I was thinking our high 80's low 90's was too hot for this time a yr. it is, but I should be happy it's not 106

Popular Posts