Rewind and Do It Again

Well, the triathlon was yesterday, and I do have some things to share about it, but I'll save that for a later post. Today I'm going to share another one of those growing experiences from church.

Remember how just a few weeks back I wrote about learning a little lesson about getting offended and where it can lead?

Apparently since I thought I'd learned that lesson, the Lord decided to give me a chance to prove it. I'd learned how counterproductive it was to get angry and hold a grudge against someone, right? So in theory it should be easier to forgive in the future. But in my last little experience it was a friend and it was relatively easy to forgive her and let it go.

Today, it was a very similar situation. I was offended by something someone else did with one of my children. This particular person turned around and grabbed J's arm, hard, and proceeded to rebuke him repeatedly (with a squeeze for each sentence) for kicking the back of the bench. Now, I'm not one of those moms who feels that her little darlings never do anything wrong. I know how irritating it can be for little feet to be thumping the back of your chair. In fact, it's something that I have been repeatedly been working on with J since I don't feel it shows much respect to use the pew ahead as a footrest. But call me crazy, I was appalled to see this person grabbing my son and trying to discipline him personally, especially since I was sitting right there.

OK, I admit it. I was furious. And since this was right in the middle of the sacrament being passed, I felt horribly guilty too. Here I was, having these feelings the complete opposite of anything spiritual, at a time when I am supposed to be humble and penitent and reflective. Instead, I was wishing I could grab my neighbor, wrench his arm off, and see how he liked it. Plus, this is a hormonal time of month for me, so immediately the floodgates opened and I was sniffing like mad.

J, by the way, was not fazed at all by this non-parental rebuke. His feet stayed off the bench for maybe a minute. Then he was back to entertaining himself with some paper, humming his own song, and within just a few more minutes, his feet were back to resting on the hymnbook holder in front of him. Nothing seems to have an impact on that kid! I pushed his feet down a couple of times, but since my own composure was completely rattled, I finally just decided to lead him out to sit in another room for awhile.

Outside the chapel, I listened to the talks over the speaker and waged a furious battle with myself, trying to reclaim my perspective and let the whole incident go. It was harder this time. It was not a friend, just another member of my ward who has rubbed me the wrong way in the past. It was more difficult to try and see things from his point of view. At least, I congratulated myself, I was not still sitting behind him, stewing through the whole meeting and being unreasonably humiliated by the tears that refused to shut off.

Then who should walk into the room where I was hiding? The man in question. (No, he wasn't coming to discuss the incident with me. According to my husband, he does leave the meeting on occasion and retreat to the Relief Society room. So this was normal behavior.)

Perhaps if I were truly mature and skilled with communication, I would have approached him then and calmly let him know that I was bothered by his actions with my son. I could have then explained that if in the future my son was acting inappropriately, I would appreciate him sticking to a verbal reprimand, or perhaps letting me know, so I could deal with it.

However, I am neither extremely mature, nor skilled in communication. So I ignored him altogether. Part of me feels like I have failed the test, the real one where I show I can really refrain from getting offended. But then again, maybe this test isn't a timed one, and it's OK if the forgiveness comes later. In the meantime, I'll try not to let it fester inside. After all, he was probably offended by me not taking action with J sooner, since he felt compelled to intervene. Maybe this evening he is struggling to forgive me as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Been waiting to hear about your marathon, but will wait. That is a tough one you're dealing with. Where was his unconditional love and humility? I can't imagine anyone doing that, ESPECIALLY with you sitting there. I'm SO sorry that happened.
Ashlie Dalton said…
in my eyes you are a good person for even considering how he may be feeling tonight...
i am the worst with stuff like this. i get offended pretty easily i guess and don't shake things off.

you at least have a good step in the right direction (is that right?!).
you are a good example.
Amy said…
Wow, that would NOT be ok for someone to grab my childs arm like that - I can see someone getting irritated and saying something to him but to grab his arm?? That is crossing a line and if I had been there with you I would have grabbed his arm off Jared and told him he has NO right to touch him, irritated or not. We've all been irriated by young children but NEVER would I think I could grab their arm. Not OK.
The Hatch's said…
Oh no he didn't!!! I have no idea what I would have done. I think to get offended is human. It's how you deal with it is the test. I think you are doing great with it. I don't think that you have to brush it off immediately. It's ok to think about it for awhile. It allows you to think about what you would do differently the next time. You're doing great at the test you are taking give yourself a pat on the back.
Kaycee said…
In my opinion, when it comes to something like that, where some one is physicaly touching your kids to get after them, and you don't feel comfortable with it, or feel they are out of line, it's ok to say in a nice way that you don't want them doing that. It's different then just being offened or hurt by something they have said, it's doing something to your children that you don't feel comfortable with, and it's not their place. I think there is nothing wrong or un christ like to let them know in a kind way that you didn't like them doing that, and then forgiving and letting go.
kristi said…
Wow! And when I came in the room to ask you to hold William for a minute so I could go throw out the diaper I had no clue you were upset! I feel awful!
I don't think there is any reason for him to lay a hand on Jared! I am mad for him! He is a little boy and yes it is irritating but he is a BOY! It is not in their nature to be quiet or still. They have to work hard at it! He should of said something to you or dealt with it and got a different seat next week.
We should start saving each other seats again so we can sit in front of or behind each other again.
One of the many reasons I fell in love with this church was because of how welcome children were in the services - reasonable noise and all!
Heidi said…
Kristi, you were actually a lifesaver. Holding William kind of snapped me out of it, at least enough so I wasn't fighting off tears. Thank goodness! I would have had a hard time playing for Primary if I hadn't calmed down a bit.

Popular Posts