Friday Night Fortune

Today's just been one of those days.

It started early. Really early. About 4 am my husband finally made it home from work. His arrival coincided with K's early morning feeding. If only I could have just handed the baby off and gone back to bed, but some motherly part of me is not comfortable handing off a 3 month old baby to a bleary-eyed man still wearing a gun. So while I fed K, Terence sat down and started to tell me about his night. Three late night accidents and one DUI arrest. (The DUI dingbat was driving the wrong way on the highway and then had the gall to threaten to sue Terence, as if being arrested was totally uncalled for. Then when Terence decided to release him to a friend instead of booking him into the county jail, the man called up his friend-- in the middle of the night, mind you-- and demanded of his friend, "Where the f*** are you?" What a charming man. Anyway, end digression.) The little chat I had with Terence was so nice-- I love getting adult conversation with no little voices interrupting-- but when we were done it was just about time for me to get up. I crawled back into bed anyway, but it was more of a catnap than going back to sleep.

So then my regular busy day started, full to them brim with fun things like getting my blood drawn while a horrified B demands to know what's going on and surviving yet another swim practice session. By the afternoon I was starting to get run down, but then I took on the big league stuff.

Another run to Walmart for "just one thing."

This one thing was my prescription, but while we were in the store a display of clearance Easter stuff caught my eye. I picked up a couple of Easter decorations that cost a quarter each and continued on my way. As we headed out the door, M cautioned, "Mommy, we didn't pay for our stuff!" to which I answered, holding up my prescription, "Of course I did, I paid for it when I picked it up." Then I continued blithely out of the store, unaware that I had just become a shoplifter, stealing a grand total of $1.38 in Easter clingies.

Of course I discovered my mistake after we had trekked the mile back out to our parking spot. So I had to reload all the kids and amid M's remonstrations of "I told you so" and "That was stealing, Mom," head back into the store. It was a workout just in itself. Plus I then had to face the checkout lane, which every mom knows is the seventh circle of Hades itself.

After a couple more errands (including a harrowing venture into Sport Chalet to return some shoes,) I picked up Panda Express for dinner.

My fortune was very appropriate: "You have great physical strength and an iron constitution." Only way I could have made it through the day.

Comments

Kaycee said…
you poor lady! I love hearing your stories!!!
Abby said…
Ha!

Oh, and you gotta love the sense of entitlement that law-breaking citizens feel after they're caught. Nice.

Popular Posts