To Run or Not to Run

You know, there seems to be some kind of unwritten law that you'll end up doing a great deal of the things you said you'd never do. At least it works that way in my life.

Saturday while Terence was working traffic control for Country Thunder (a several day long country music concert/drinking binge), I got a phone call from one of the sergeants who was working with Terence. This guy wanted me to convince Terence to join a group of officers doing a sprint (or mini) triathlon in November. Terence really is not all that enthusiastic about it though because my darling husband doesn't swim well. At all. So somehow the conversation got turned around and into the idea of ME doing the race.

OK, from the time I was young I have despised running. Just in case that's not quite clear enough, I LOATHED running. And one of the things I said I would never do is jog/run/sprint or any combination thereof for recreation/exercise/weight loss, etc. After my last required PE class ended, I swore I would never run another step unless forced to flee for my life. Now, I've broken that rule once or twice, but trust me, running for entertainment has never, ever crossed my mind.

Still, at dinner at my parents' house last night, I ended up trying to convince my sister to help me train for this event. Have I lost my marbles???? Maybe. My sister said she will do it with me, and my brother-in-law Jason has joined the group too. Even Terence is seriously considering whether he should sign up for some swimming lessons so he can do it too. Just in case the little voice in my head telling me I'm crazy wasn't loud enough, my grandmother chimed in last night with "Now why do you want to do this again?" "Why, when you have four children would you do this?" "Are they going to pay you to do it?" and other such encouraging statements.

I think I'm going to do it anyway. But I'm posting a poll at the side. Let me know what you think. Should I attempt it? Or should I keep my no-running-oath of younger years?

Comments

VKMyers said…
We are two peas in a pod when it comes to running. I hate it. It hates me. But I think as soon as I get in better shape, I'm going to pick it up so that Clayton and I can run together on occasion. I think it would be fun to be able to do some of the charity runs around here.

I think you should totally do the triathalon. You're a woman. You can change your mind. And you never know, you may end up liking it. I'd love to do something like the triathalon, but I would have to take years worth of swimming lessons...I can't swim at all. (That should make Terance feel better!) You go girl!
Ashlie Dalton said…
So, how far is it and what all would you be doing?? Swimming, running, and what? I think it sounds awesome! Go for it!!! You'll be glad to say you did it!
Abby said…
Just so long as you're not last in this race (that's embarrassing), I would love to see evidence of the famous Wounded Chicken Run I've been hearing about for lo these many years.
mom said…
Go for it, Heidi! I will cheer for you (but not join in the fun--I don't run :))
Brooke said…
That sounds like a great idea! Go for it! It's mentally, physically, and spiritually invigorating to do something new every once in a while.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a great idea! I'm all for stretching yourself, and that sounds like a stretch. It sure would be for me.

Popular Posts