A Little Sunday Sweetener

Some surprises are good, and some are not so welcome.

Sunday mornings are always insane in our house. Anyone who has ever tried to get children ready for church will surely understand. If for some reason K is still asleep, my day starts at 6 am sharp with baths for the three older kids. (This usually involves wailing and gnashing of teeth on both the kids' part and mine.) Then I make pancakes and sausage-- not because I really want to add more to my Sunday morning, but because the kids will actually eat quite a bit of it and stay somewhat full through the first hour of church. It makes Sacrament Meeting just a tiny bit easier if the kids aren't whining for food. Then I have to race to get myself dressed, pack and load a bag of stuff to entertain the kids as well as the baby bag, Terence's scriptures and lesson manual found, wake up my still snoozing husband, and take care of any other loose ends (so-and-so's talk or something I need for Relief Society, etc.) Somewhere in the middle of all this K wakes up and needs to be fed and changed. Hopefully that gives you a mental picture of the chaos.

So I'm in the full swing of this madness at about 7 am when my husband appears miraculously out of our room an hour earlier than normal. I was pleasantly surprised until he unloaded the good/bad news. His parents had just called his cell phone; they were moving to Mississippi and needed to stop and rest at our house. And they would be at our house in less than an hour.

WHAT??????

So instead of just doing my normal Sunday morning stuff, I was now also racing around trying to pick up my living room, reclaim the bathroom from water park status, cleaning up the kitchen just a bit, and doubling the breakfast that I was making. Since they had been on the road for hours and needed to sleep, I ransacked my closets looking for bedding only to learn that I had only one extra blanket that was clean. The rest were sitting in piles in the hall waiting to be washed. What timing!

Now I was very happy to see Terence's parents and brother. It was exciting for them to finally come visit our house, and it was the first time they had seen K. But we were only able to briefly greet them before loading up our family for church and leaving them behind. Terence had to teach and I was helping in Primary, and with so little notice, we couldn't exactly back out to stay home with our company.

At least they stayed for a little bit so we got to spend some time with them. But Monday morning they were off again, leaving three turtles behind in our care.

*sigh*

I love my in-laws, but a little notice next time would be a very good thing!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Oh my stars! what chaos! Again great writing. I felt like I was there in the chaos.
How fun to see the family!
Anonymous said…
Yes, that would make a fun chapter in a book. I too was actually running around with you trying to get things done. Whooo, I'm really tired now. :o) Fun, fun, fun!!??!
Brooke said…
Craziness!!! Why are they moving to Mississippi? Does that mean you're never going to come to California and visit us again? :( Wow, turtles, I guess it could've been worse, like snakes. By the way, I haven't forgotten about my committment to read your book, it's just that my life paralells yours on almost all fronts, so that should be explanation enough of why I haven't gotten that finished yet.

Popular Posts