The Enrichment Illusion

Tonight is our Relief Society Enrichment meeting. One of the quarterly ones, where they're going to have dinner and a program, the whole shebang. I don't know about you, but in my younger years I was an Enrichment rebel. (Only it was Homemaking back then.) In fact, I wasn't just a rebel, I was downright hostile toward the whole concept of Homemaking. Somehow before I was even old enough to go to Relief Society I blanched at the thought of going to some "weekday meeting where a bunch of old ladies get together and do crafts."

Once I was married I made the effort to go a few times and learned that Enrichment wasn't just about doing crafts (though those ones tend to be the best attended.) But I still didn't like it. Being a bit on the shy side, it seemed like I was always hovering on the outskirts feeling uncomfortable. (Not that I'm blaming anyone for not "fellowshipping" me. I know that nine times out of ten everyone else is feeling just as shy.) So I still only made an appearance occasionally, maybe once or twice a year.

Now, since I've had the experience of putting these shindigs together and then hoping against hope someone will come, I do try to go to at least the quarterly ones. So I'll make the effort to load up my four kids and make the half-hour drive to the chapel tonight. But still I'm a bit wary.

Do you want to know why? Maybe I'm not the only one who has a problem with this.

Any of these opportunities I have to mingle with other women I get an acute case of comparison-itis. I look all around me and see beautiful women who seem like everything is going well for them. Their children are well-behaved, their husbands are candidates for the Peter Priesthood award, their homes are immaculate, they have actual producing gardens, they cook healthy and frugal meals three times a day (and their children eat them), they have a vacuumed and sweet-smelling vehicle, they never lose their temper, they have a ten-year supply of food storage, they easily create beautiful artsy decorations for their home, they keep in shape without exercising, they are always smiling, they have money to burn at the mall, they have the faith to move mountains, and they are surely but one step away from being translated and caught up to heaven since they are already so close to perfection.

I'm only being kind of silly here. It's not logical, and I know as well as you do that all women have challenges and no one is what they seem on the outside, but still, my irrational, critical side loves to use Enrichment as a chance to beat up on myself.

But you know, when I go to Enrichment tonight, some other poor sister will probably look at me and think, "Hey, she's really got it together. She has a happy marriage, four beautiful children, and she's really getting into good shape. They are well-enough off for her to be a stay-at-home mom, she seems so happy all the time, and she's got such a strong testimony. She's really got it together-- why can't I be like that?"

If only she knew that my house is a disaster, I've fed my kids junk food all day, I haven't gotten any of my chores done, and I'll probably yell at my kids at least once every five minutes from the moment we leave the church until I get them into bed. People just aren't always what they seem!

Comments

Abby said…
Absolutely true. I've heard it said before that if you knew absolutely everything there was to know about a person you wouldn't trade places with them for all money in the world. As I tell folks, everybody's got something. Some folks' "somethings" are easily hidden and disguised by the immaculate home and perfect children, etc. Other things are physical trials, like constant medical issues that never end. Other folks' are wavering testimonies that nothing in the world will make up for, and other folks' somethings are obvious for all the world to see. But everybody's got something to deal with. And guaranteed you don't want those people's somethings.
kristi said…
Oh my gosh!~
I'm sitting here because I skipped the meeting. I said there was no way I could go on this 500 calorie diet and watch everyone eat but... I get so nervous to get into a group of people. What if noone talks to me, if they do, do they really want to, who will I sit with? And... what if they make us play a game? My 1st relief socety experience - they told us to bring some things about ourselves like a book if you like to read. NEVER in my wildest dreams did I think I would then have to stand up in front of everyone ON A MICROPHONE and tell and show what I brought! Ahhh!
Anonymous said…
Hmmm, sounds like I'm not the only one. I just don't like to socialize. And I usually can't tolerate what the small talk turns into. At my single-ladies dinner Monday night, the conversation turned into ailments and prescription medicine.....two things I abhor talking about (or listening about, because no one would want to hear my take on it). I know I am different so usually shy away. To each his own!
Ashlie Dalton said…
Funny. I get that way reading your blog. You can cook, you work out like a mad woman, you have beautiful children, are a good mother, strong testimony, I could go on and on.
Even the things you struggle with (like the occasional depression), you do it well.
But I do know what you mean. I struggle with social gatherings as well. I've never even been visiting teaching because none of my partners go and I'm too embarrassed/horribly anxious to go alone. I still don't even have any friends in my ward... not one! I've been in this ward for a year now. I just don't make any effort to get to know anyone because of my anxiety. I always say something stupid. ha!
See... now doesn't your life sound better all the time?! :)
Vera said…
This is something most of us deal with. I know my mother-in-law told me it was the same way when she was young (some 40 to 50 years ago). Women just tend to compare themselves to everyone around them. it is good in some ways - it keeps us motivated to do more to try to be better, even if we never achieve what we are trying for. We are all unique and all similar at the same time. I thought it was a great Enrichment night and thanks Heidi for writing the program - you are an amazing talented woman (and to tell the truth my house was ALWAYS a disaster when I had young children - I am grateful to have an easier time of it now.
Stefanie said…
That's funny, because I saw you at Enrichment and thought you looked beautiful and did a great job writing the program. On Sunday, I was noticed your curly hair and thought that mine looked frizzy and crunchy and yours always looks so flowing and soft.
The Atkinson's said…
I stinkin love you cause we all suffer from this. i wish I always had the right words to say and posses your amazing ability for writing!! Thank you soooo much for writing the program. It was beautiful & wouldn't have been as amazing if that would of been left up to me.
Whenever I'm feeling like I'm comparing..I try to remember that being "perfect" is exhausting and I'm already too tired to try to be perfect. LOL
You're amazing and beautiful!!

Popular Posts