At Least I'm Not a Telemarketer

It was inevitable, really. That I would get a new job at church. Once they split our ward last month I knew it was only a matter of time. You can bet I was a little apprehensive. I'm really not afraid of many of the callings that a lot of people are, and the hard work that might be involved is secondary.

My biggest fear every time they ask me to do something new? That it will involve making phone calls. Trust me, I would rather teach the Gospel Doctrine class than make a phone call. When we first moved into this ward and they asked me to be compassionate service leader, I was sick with fear. In case you don't know, that particular assignment involves calling a lot of people you don't know on short notice, either to coordinate what help you're giving them, or horror of horrors, ask other women to do something to help someone on short notice. I was a total and complete basket case the whole 2 1/2 years I had that calling. Every time my cell phone rang I would literally feel nauseous with fear that it was the Relief Society President telling me I needed to start another round of phone calls.

So this time around I was, of course, a little wary. You never know what responsibility will include phone calls. Then when I was asked to play the piano for Primary, I sighed in immense relief. It was as if billowing dark clouds had been blown away, and I could see years of phone-call-free hiding behind the piano ahead of me. What peace! What relief!

What a mistake!

Our new Primary president has decided she would like me to fully participate with the presidency. My job includes attending every presidency meeting, and essentially being "another pair of hands." So yesterday evening when I pulled up the email that listed our action items for the upcoming presidency meeting, I learned that I had been assigned to make some reminder phone calls for the next Primary activity.

EIGHT phone calls.

I need a Valium. Or something. Before I hyperventilate.

Yes, I'm weird, I know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my, I couldn't agree more with you. We DO have that in common. Mine, I think, stems from having to answer phones most of my working life as a part of my job. I cringe every time my phone rings (unless it's a child or grandchild), and if I HAVE to make a call, I procrastinate until the last possible second before making it. Ohhhh, take it away...not...I need it for my work now and hearing from loved ones...otherwise...
Kaycee said…
lol! That is so funny! That sounds like my grandma and my dad. I would much rather make phone calls then teach.
Abby said…
I can't believe they'd make you do the presidency's job when you're just the pianist. I'm the pianist too, and I'd be hacked if I had to make phone calls.

I don't like calling folks. I procrastinate doing it, too. Because of Peanut, I have an all call/letter VT route. Guess how many times I've called them? Zero. I can't stand the thought of it. Nice, huh?
Stefanie said…
Congrats on a new calling. I'm quite sure that I'm going to be the nursery song leader for the rest of my life. I'm not complaining though. I subbed for the pianist last year sometimes. I was a lot of fun.

Popular Posts