Mortal Thoughts

Disclaimer: Before you read this, I promise that no, I'm not feeling suicidal, I'm taking my meds again and they are making a huge difference, so no need to worry that I'm plotting to end my life!


OK, on with the post. I tend to be flippant about all kinds of things, and I probably won't be able to help myself here too, but this is actually a serious subject.

Death. (A melancholy bell tolls in the distance.)

Just the word seems so gloomy and final. Some people manage to go through their whole lives never even considering the subject, but I've never been able to live in such denial. (I had a coworker once who, when I asked him what he thought would happen when he died, looked puzzled for a moment before answering, "I have no idea. I've never thought about it before.") Thoughts about dying do cross my mind at times, but usually, it's in the mild speculation category like "I wonder who will meet me when I die?" and "Will I outlive my husband?" Then I dismiss it and move on with my life. However, a few incidents the last two days have repeatedly forced me to think about death.

Terence started it, actually. He brought up the first fatality accident he ever responded to. Of course, in his six years as an officer, he's had quite a few by now, but the first one shook him in the way that the rest haven't. It was up on the I-40; a guy and a girl in their 20's crashed and the girl was thrown from the car. When Terence arrived she was still alive and didn't even appear badly injured, but she died while he was on scene. The guy was perfectly fine, not even injured. It's always haunted Terence since-- one minute she was happily heading down the freeway, probably with all kinds of plans for her future, and the next minute, it's over.

Then, when I was on the way back from picking B up from school yesterday, I actually paid attention to a little trio of three white crosses by some railroad tracks near our home. I remember the accident that resulted in the memorial-- it was a car vs. train one that shut down the road for hours. But I never really thought about the people. Was it a mom and her two kids in a minivan, just like I was at that moment? Did they have any idea it was coming, or were they merrily on their way and poof! life was over? Did they tell their families they loved them before they left that morning to school or work?

Morbid, I know, but for a moment, it was if the veil was lifted again and I could see just how short this life is, and how trivial so many of my "big" worries are (like getting the kids to school on time.)

Finally, while browsing for something to check out at the library yesterday, a particular big yellow book caught my attention and I couldn't resist. Terence walked into the kitchen last night to see me reading this book while I was making dinner, and he did a double-take. "You're reading about making a will?" he asked incredulously. Yeah, a little different than my normal YA fantasy or Chinese history tomes. But it's something that really needs to be done, especially since we have kids, and I might as well get it over with.

Making a will is actually a fascinating subject. It's been interesting to learn what you can and can't leave to people, and conditions you can or can't put on things. If you want to leave your final insults to people, you can do that also, but they warn us in the book that you can still be sued for libel even if you're dead, so you may want to be careful with that. Just in case you were thinking of using your will to send one final parting shot at that obnoxious archenemy of yours.

So with all these thoughts about my mortality, I'm planning to get started on my will today. Of course, the book advises that if you think your will is going to be contested, skip the do-it-yourself version and hire a lawyer. So, anybody out there planning to contest my will? Just so I can be prepared, you know.

Comments

Abby said…
I won't contest it. I don't want your stuff anyway.

I think about this stuff all the time, sometimes I think to an unhealthy degree. I worry constantly about dying in a car accident. What if my poor kids die with me? What if they survive? Who will take care of them? What if the Husband remarries, thinking that she will be a good mother to my children, only to find out later she's been abusive to them? Who could possibly learn to love my kids as much as I do and take care of them properly? These are the things that terrify me. Sometimes I have to tell myself to forget about it or I'd be paralyzed with fear to the point I'd never leave the house.

But yes, a will is a marvelous thing. I've been trying to get the Husband to do one with me for years but he's so much against even talking about "what if's" that he can't make himself fill one out. Great, huh?
Stefanie said…
Abby, I also fear death from a car accident the same way you do. I used to only fear me dying in a car accident, but now, thanks to the last season of the Biggest Loser, I fear everyone but me dying in one. And since the birth of my son, my fear of my husband dying on his way home work and leaving me to care for three kids.
Heidi, I think its great to make a will. Its one of my new year's resolutions, I just have to get past all the above mentioned fears.
by: Kim said…
We have a Will and Trust and it takes a huge burden off my shoulders because I know if anything happens to me or my husband my kids will be taken care of financially and physically. Not that we have alot but what we do have is taken care of.
Good luck, there are alot of decisions to make but it is better to make them now when you are thinking clearly. I didn't want to have someone else having to make those decisions for me if something should happen.
kristi said…
The crosses on the side of the rode have always bothered me. I've never seen them to such a degree as out here. I get it if the family wants to remind us to drive carefully but when they decorate them it makes me feel sad. I hope the ones who are died are not there visiting where they died and appreciating the decorations. I hope they are elsewhere and happy. I don't even want a headstone in a cemetery. I'd rather my family go to a place where we had a happy moment and remember or talk to me there.
Anyway...
A will is awesome and we had ours done prior to moving out here. The lawyer did caustion us not to assign the $ handling and guardianship to the same person. So 1 of my sisters has the boys and the other sister controls the $. At the same time we did a living will and power of attorney which came in handy when Alex was sick as he was so doped on drugs and at 1 time in a coma that he couldn't make medical decisions. I also have a notorized affidivet giving my sister power to make medical decisions etc. for the boys in case she needs to take to the Doctors or hospital - just a note from you giving permission - they can refuse it. Both mys sisters also have a copy of everything in case something happens they don't need to deal wwith the safety dep box they can fly in with papers in hand.
I have a copy of everything in the house here also if you need to take a look at how the lawyer worded stuff.
Anonymous said…
Heidi, a very smart decision on your part. No one EVER knows when their time will come. But when it comes to making choices about the lives of your children especially, it is such a smart thing to do. Good luck convincing Terence.
Kaycee said…
I was thinking about a will earlier this month. I really need to get serious and do one. I need to find out how. But when ever I think about death, I get depressed for the whole day or longer. I can't even go to veiwings. Death is an extremely hard thing for me. I don't like to watch the news because of death stories, I can't watch movies with death, or anything.
Ashlie Dalton said…
wow, i honestly didn't even know that there were people out there who never thought about death. if i let it, those thoughts can consume me and i get really depressed.

Popular Posts