Plan of Attack

Sometimes I really worry my husband. My husband tends to get concerned about things that never even cross my mind-- this blog, for instance, though he's never read it. He has expressed fear that whatever random musings I jot down here can and will be used against me like a weapon. Either some overly righteous person is going to turn me in to CPS, DPS will fire Terence because I express "inappropriate" opinions, or some random psycho that he has arrested at some point will use my blog to track us down and kill us all.

See, that kind of stuff just never occurs to me. (Besides, if some psycho wants to track us down and kill us, there are far easier ways to do that than by just stumbling across my search-engine-blocked blog.) As for some sicko intentionally targeting our beautiful kids, that one has occurred to me, but I guess I'm just not paranoid enough to fake every body's names and pictures. That would take all the fun out of the blog.

One of the big areas of Terence's anxiety on my behalf is the health category. The man was practically begging me the other day to go get a mammogram for fear that I might get breast cancer and die. Never mind that I'm not yet 35. And have any of your husbands read the insert in the tampon box that talks about toxic shock syndrome? Mine has, and he did (futilely) try to convince me to give up using them as a result. Sorry, honey. One of the reasons I'm sure I was placed on the earth at this point in time is because of the availability of tampons and running water. No way am I going to voluntarily give one of those up, even if it means I am risking death! And seriously, my chances of being struck by lightning are probably much greater than getting TSS. (Not to worry though, my husband frets about me getting struck by lightning too.)

Today my long-suffering husband is uneasy because I have been so blue. I'm sure he's living in fear of repeating the awful months of depression I lived through in Sanders. Things are nowhere near that bad. But for once, I actually feel like maybe, just maybe, Terence isn't being unreasonable. I have been feeling worse and worse nearly every day. Yes, I know it's finally winter now in Phoenix, and that has a lot to do with it. But in the past, I've always sailed through the holidays with nary a hiccup, only to get slammed with depression in January.

But if I'm feeling it already, and it's not even Christmas yet, what will I be like come January?

Well, I know some things I can do. 1-- I need to get outside more and soak up some more sunlight. 2-- Ratcheting up the exercise level again should help. Endorphins really make a difference, and I've been slacking lately. 3-- Doing some of the cognitive therapy exercises I learned the last time I went through this should help a lot. 4-- Going back on my antidepressant. (The doctor, under my pleading, cleared me to wean myself off it, but it doesn't seem to be going so well. Hmph. And I was so excited to not to have to remember any pills anymore!)

I know all these tips-- and my husband has been begging me to do everything on this list and more-- but I can't seem to bring myself to do any of it. So today, I decided to throw it all to the wind and blog about it. See, if you guys know about it, there's a good chance you'll ask me if I'm doing any of this stuff. And that, hopefully, will help motivate me to get my act together a bit. (Because some part of me is just not going to want to mope around if people know about it, right?)

What do you think of my plan to force myself into action? I'll let you know if it works. . . .

Comments

mom said…
Sounds good to me-love you too much to have you going this without the support of your friends and family!
Kaycee said…
I think that is a great idea to Blog about it, so we can get you motivated to do your list. That is a good list. When I am in a slum of depression, I don't want to do anything. But I know from experiance if I get up and do things, like work out and get out in the sun, it helps. Some other suggestions I have are doing service for others, or making little nice notes for your husband and kids. It helps you feel better. But I know you are crazy busy, so I don't want to add any other suggestions to your full plate. But get up and do it! you will feel better, make your self. Good luck!!!
p.s. your husband sounds awesome! all worried about you.
Abby said…
Heidiness, I'm not your mother or anything, but I agree with Terence (on this only). PLEASE go back on the anti-depressants, if nothing else. Those other things are great and they will help a ton, but you really need to get back on the meds. If there's one thing I know about people suffereing from depression, it's that the second they start to feel better they somehow convince themselves that all is fixed (naturally perhaps?) and they don't need their anti-d's anymore. So they go off of them and start to go downhill fast, all the while telling themselves they're fine and don't need the medication. Perhaps it's something inherent in depression itself that makes its sufferers think they stick out by taking pills and that they're not normal. But you are normal. See, EVERYBODY has something that makes them abnormal. Everybody has something they've got to deal with in their lives that make them feel like they stick out. And because of that, we're all the same. You take anti-Ds, I take migraine medication several times a day, one of my relatives takes medication for her mental illness, my nephew takes medication for his seizures, etc. And it's not just medication/medical stuff, it's everything. You need to quit thinking that if you can survive without the meds that you'll be finally normal like everyone else. You're already normal. You've got something just like everyone else has got something. It's just one of those things. One of those things you can't help, mind you. Depression is a real medical condition, not just something you should be able to snap out of on your own. Absolutely not. Could you imagine if you did have breast cancer and decided to refuse treatment because it would mean you're not like everyone else? Yeah.

Please take the pills. As much as you hate to do it, just do it. If it improves your quality of life, and your family's quality of life, then it's a good thing. You're not taking the easy way out or something, you're taking care of your body with exercise, good food, sunlight, and medical advances. Just like everybody else.
mom said…
Thanks Abby for saying it so well.....much better than I could but I agree. Until a cure is found -take the daily cure-
Abby said…
Not sure if this will help, but remember Eric Snider? The author of Snide Remarks at BYU? He suffers from clinical depression, too. He wrote a Snide Remarks about it a couple of weeks ago. Probably one of the best he's ever written. And it might give you a chuckle, too. http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/the-great-depression/
kristi said…
What you said yesterday really made sense about winter being the worst time to try stopping meds when it is so cold and dreary to begin with.
When u start to feel yucky - give me a call and we can meet on the sidewalk and watch the kids play. Just don't forget your shoes so your feet don't freeze and go numb :)
Heidi said…
Thanks so much for all your support :-)I debated whether or not sharing this would be a good idea, but it looks like I made the right decision.

Abby-- I read the column, it was great-- funny & sad at the same time, only because I know what he's talking about too well...

Mom-- I haven't taken my pill yet, but I am refilling the prescription as soon as I finish typing this, and then I'll go take it. Promise!
Anonymous said…
Wow, your friend Abby sure said a mouthful, and I couldn't agree more. I have been on those dreaded depression meds for more years than I care to relate. AND, I've tried getting off them many times. I almost succeeded, having thought like yours, until one of my daughters would say exasperatedly, "mom, I think you need your meds again!" Life is so much easier and less stressful when Im ON them. It has taken me a few years to realize how important they are to me. Good luck to you gal. You are SO important to us all! We need your stories and blogs...you've become another addiction. ha ha
Ashlie Dalton said…
Heidi, you're awesomely hilarious! I love reading your blog.
Terence makes me laugh with the things he worries about. Sometimes I wish Luke would express any concern for my well being though... he never worries about ANYTHING. EVER.
He didn't even bat and eyelash when I had to have Max two months early even.

Also, when I feel "blue" I like to start a new project. Sewing, reading a new book, organizing (bills, the office, pictures, old love letters etc between me and Luke)... stuff like that. May not be your thing but just a suggestion.
Feel better! Be glad you aren't here...we have a week of no sun and snow coming up starting this afternoon.

Popular Posts