The Rock Bandit

M has an obsession with rocks. She calls herself a rock collector, but it goes beyond that into something I can't quite make sense of. Since we live in the desert and everybody is constantly preaching to us that we need to conserve water, every single house on our street has nothing but the pea-gravel version of landscaping. You know, those little ugly gray and brown rocks that only serve to remind us that we live in a parched, barren area not really fit for human existence. In fact almost every suburban tract house within a 30 mile radius probably has some of those rocks in the front yard. Absolutely nothing special about them that I can see, but M insists on gathering a few (or more than a few) every time she's out and adding them to her "collection" on the bookshelf. Every once in a while she'll luck out and come home with a big hunk of something that appears to be concrete and her excitement is palpable.

"I'm not sure that's a rock," I say.

"Yes it is! I'm adding it to my collection!" she says, her voice bright. She adds it to the other dusty, ugly shapes on her bookshelf, as if she doesn't have ten or fifteen chunks of concrete sitting there already.

Then, being the sneaky, unsupportive mom that I am, whenever I clean the girls' room, I steal all the rocks from the bookshelves, buckets or bags where she has stashed them and pour them back into the front yard. She does come home and complain, but what can I do? I can't have the front landscaping constantly migrating into the bedroom.

The most irritating part is how we constantly find the rocks all over the place in the house. On the bathroom floor (or in the bathroom sink, like this morning). Tons of little rocky chips in the carpet that only serve to damage my already incompetent vacuum. And best of all, I am forever fishing little pieces of gravel out of K's mouth. He, at least, appreciates M's collection because apparently those rocks taste yummy.

Am I stomping on my child's hopes and dreams by sabotaging her hobby? Possibly, but I don't think I can live with the desert inside my house as well as outside. There are limits to what a woman can stand!

Comments

kristi said…
What about a treasure bucket and then once it's full she has to dump it and then refill again. They have some cute clear plastic ones that even have locks - I got one for my friends daughter in CT at like walgreens in the make-up section. She had just started wearing lip gloss and her brother kept ruining it. The lock kept him out!
Too bad we weren't all in CT, down by Mystic they have a dinosaur place and they have a whole excavation place where the kids uncover dinosaurs and then they put on miners hats with lights and dig for gems and crytals. Nic has a HUGE bucket! Some time when I see Marianne out I'll have Nic go out with his "treasures" and show her.
The Hatch's said…
Lets just look at it this way... Atleast it's rocks and not something more expensive. Atleast they're free.
Kaycee said…
That post put a smile on my face.
Abby said…
I'm a sucker for stupid stuff like that. I'd probably sneak half of them out every so often. I'd feel too bad taking what she thought was so fabulous and beautiful. Maybe tell her she can only have 10 rocks at a time and make her choose which are the best ones? Maybe that way she'll keep better track of them, too, since she can only have a limited number.

Popular Posts