At an Impasse

It's so nice to have church in the afternoon again! It means I get one day a week where my morning is a bit calmer, and I actually get to sleep in a little.

Since I have a bit more time this morning, I thought I'd write about a relationship dilemma that I'm having with my husband. For any of you who have better communication and negotiation skills, perhaps you can give some pointers to help me out.

Recently, Terence and I have run into two particular situations where we have a fundamental difference of opinion, and I guess neither of us feels we can back down. Don't worry, our marriage isn't breaking apart! But still, we haven't been able to resolve the situation in a way that pleases both of us.

I'll share one of them (just like a case study). One major divisive issue between us involves getting to church on time. I'll admit it, I can be a little bit fanatical about getting to things on time. I was raised in a house where being punctual was very much emphasized. My husband, on the other hand, really doesn't see the need to shorten his life by worrying unnecessarily about being late. In most instances, I bear with it, and sometimes even manage to see the humor in the situation when we are late again, instead of getting upset.

However, I really, really don't like being late to church. This is nothing new. Terence and I have struggled with this issue for our entire marriage. It's only gotten worse as we've added more children to the family, and I have spent hours getting everybody ready so we can be to church on time, only to be late because of Terence. Most Sundays I am sitting in the van in the driveway with all four kids strapped in their seats, drumming my fingers on the steering wheel impatiently while we wait for Terence to finally saunter out.

Believe me, we've discussed this issue frequently. Even in calm, rational conversations where we both try to see the other person's point of view. I've explained that I would just like to get there early enough to hear a little prelude music, maybe get to hear the announcements for once, and mentally get prepared for the sacrament. Terence just says that I am making things worse because I always end up angry and irritated during the drive to church, and he believes I should use the drive to church to prepare for the sacrament. Well, he's got a point, if I'm going to walk in every week just as the sacrament hymn is going on, I need to spend the drive there in some other mood than irritated and impatient. But still, I just feel it is so important to be there on time. And if I understand Terence's point of view correctly, as long as we get there in time to take the sacrament, that's all that really matters, since that's the most important part of church.

In other periods of our life, we have skirted this issue by me leaving for church meetings on my own with the kids, and Terence following later. But now, with the chapel so far from our house, it's much more expensive to drive two cars just so I can get there fifteen minutes before my husband.

Any advice? How would you handle this situation if you were me? Should I just let it go? If I should, how do I go about not caring that I'm late?

Comments

Stefanie said…
Good luck with that one. My sister says she read somewhere that a healthy marriage has seven irreconcilable differences. But they truly are annoying. For me, being late is embarrassing. I feel stupid drawing attention to myself as I find a seat, while everyone else is already seated. But that doesn't mean that I'm always organized enough to make it there on time. I don't have any advice for you. I find myself late to things a lot more than I would like...maybe I should make it a new year's resolutions.
Abby said…
I'm not sure I know how to solve this as I'm totally on your side with this. I HATE being late to things. Now, I'm not always on time for various reasons, but my own lateness makes me furious with myself. The Husband is never on time. For anything. And I hate sitting in the car waiting for his butt to get in gear.

As for being late to church and being totally OK with it? What on earth? Our church leaders (on a local and stake level) have told us time and again that being late is unacceptable. You don't waltz in when you feel like it, you get there on time. Sometimes things come up, but you do your best, not when you get around to it. Not only is your late entrance distracting to every single person in the congregation, but it shows a lack of respect for what is going on. People who are perpetually late are in a way very self-absorbed in that they don't believe they're affecting anyone else, or if they are, those other people can live with it. I've never understood that. And I've argued about this very thing with my own spouse (and I'm getting worked up now just thinking about it) so I'm afraid I'm totally useless.
Ashlie Dalton said…
I agree with you Heidi. It is one thing to occasionally be late but it is definitely something that should be avoided if possible.
This is what I would say to him if I were you (though I'm betting you've probably already said this to him): "I understand you don't want to feel rushed and stress about being on time, but it is important to me to be on time to church." Maybe he could just get up 15 minutes earlier or whatever it takes for him to not feel rushed and stressed about getting there on time.
Good luck!
Kaycee said…
I wished I had some advice, because I need to some too. I am the Queen of being late to everything! I don't know what it is, but I am. Church included. Both Robby and I are late to every thing. I wish I wasn't. I need to be more organized and not procrastinate on getting ready.
Vera said…
One thing we did to try to get to church on time with 7 kids, including 4 teenage girls, is we always tried to meet for scripture and prayer 15 min. before we had to leave. No matter what time church started. So if we needed to be at church at 9:00 we always met at 8:30. Most of the time we weren't together in time for scriptures, but it got us together enough to have family prayer. We always tried to be on time or early. I remember one time when we were late, the Stake President was visiting and gave a talk on being on time. I was horrified as we were usually on-time, except this one day. We also found that sitting right up front 2nd or 3rd row our kids were more reverent, with less distractions. If nothing else get Terrance to compromise. On time 3 out of 4 weeks, or something like that. Disscuss and let him know this is very important to you, another thing is as your kids grow it won't be long until you have teenage boys who need to be there in time to prepare and pass the sacrament, teaching them now makes it a no brainer later. Good Luck, this is a challenge all large families deal with.
mom said…
Okay, I am going to weigh in on this one---Not just because I am part of the house you grew up in---

In my expereince, being late is often not so much about organization or procrastination but a way to control situations or others. Many times this is a subconscious response developed very young when many of us have no control over difficult situations. It becomes habitual as we practice it year after year. It is a difficult habit to break but it can be done. In this situation I don't believe you are likely to have much success until Terence choses to be in control by being on time to church. With church, there could be the issue of establishment authority as well. Enough psychology. Good luck with that one....
VKMyers said…
Wow. I wonder if Clayton and your hubby are long lost brothers. We have the same problem. Church, appointments, dinner with family. It drives me nuts. He's been trying a little harder now that church isn't at 9am, but if he is involved, we are always late for appointments. It annoys me when the doctor or whoever is running behind so I don't want them to have to wait on me (which is rarely the case, but...). I think it is simply a matter of respect.

One thing to tell TJ is that we have been asked on several occasions from several sources to be in our seats 10 minutes early so that we can prepare for the sacrament and so that we don't drive away the spirit. I don't know if it will help, but you can give it a shot.

And if you find anything that works, PLEASE let me know!
Anonymous said…
Gosh, you've really gotten a lot of good advice and caused us all to do a little soul-searching at the same time. I think a lot of couples have this problem. I've always felt it was RUDE when people were late. It disrupts the meeting (or whatever gathering), inconveniences everyone else, and is a selfish habit to get into...(totally thinking of one's self and not others). There are always times when you can't be, but I think you should ALWAYS try to be on time. There ought to be a way you could "love" him into it. ha ha
The Hatch's said…
I say get ready as usual. If her is slacking and running behind tell him you are leaving at a certain time. Then proceed to have all car keys with you. If he misses the bus then he'll know your aren't messing around. I think that it will light a fire under his butt for the next time.
The Hatch's said…
BTW Terence was ALWAYS on time when we were in the singles ward. What's up with that. Even if he was getting a ride with someone else he was able to be ready in time for them to pick him up. I say no excuse. You tell him I said that. :)
kristi said…
Can we all squeeze in out car and leave Terrance and Nic to come together?
Nic drives me NUTS! We have to leave early for him to prep sacrament and we are ALWAYS waiting on him - usually sitting in the car waiting. I try and tell him how inconsiderate it is when he's the one that needs to be there 45 mins early and not us!

Popular Posts