Fare Thee Well, Kurt

Well, judging by the poll I posted, you guys are either a love it or completely leave it group when it comes to the great all-American pastime. What group do I fall in? Once upon a time, for a very short period of my life, I actually used to watch the Super Bowl. And as a kid, I always supported the Chargers because they were the home team, even though I had no idea if they were winning or when they were even playing. (Granted, they were usually losing, but I was no fair weather friend! I never watched the games whether they were doing well or not.) As a teenager I discovered the joys of the Super Bowl commercials, and I would suffer through the football part for those million dollar minutes of glory in between. Post-college my interest has gone from minor to non-existent, since I don't even live in San Diego anymore. It feels kind of strange to root for the Cardinals.

The rest of my family do not have a problem with that. I get frequent football updates every Sunday when we go to my parents' house for tacos. My dad completely jumped ship when it comes to the Chargers and wholeheartedly supports the Cardinals. Plus, my sister married a man whose week is ruined if the Cowboys lose, so you may imagine that even when I don't want to know what's going on with the NFL, some of it forces itself into my brain anyway. (Terence is more of a college football fan, but he learned long ago that there was no point in discussing it with me, not if he wanted me to stay awake, that is.)

So even though it took several years for me to figure it out, I did eventually learn who Kurt Warner is. (In case you are as ignorant as I usually am, Kurt Warner was the quarterback for the AZ Cardinals.) Yesterday he announced his retirement, and Terence watched the press conference in the same room where I was playing Bejeweled on Facebook so I heard the whole thing.

Is it too late to become a Kurt Warner fan? I was so impressed! What a nice guy with a straight head on his shoulders, who is not afraid to express his faith in front of the whole country! That's the kind of role model I wish our pro athletes were in general. Needless to say, I understand why he's retiring, and I respect him for that, but it's too bad that it took me until the very end to find out that I like him. Bummer! Maybe I would have actually watched last year's Super Bowl.

Or maybe not. This year, you can be sure, I will be in another room while the majority of my extended family watches it. Super Mario with the kids is much more fun than football!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
Any excuse for friends, family, food, and fun I am in! I never know who is playing, in fact, I couldn't even name 5 teams off the top of my head but I can honestly say that wearing old used football jerseys, chips, salsa, boxed juices, cheesy broccoli soup, and watching the commercials is more than fun to me!! I'd be all for having a party on Presidents Day... that's how ridiculous I am for that sort of thing :)
Anonymous said…
When I was married to my second (last) husband, our entire life was football. I loved it back then, but really got sick of it towards the end of our marriage. When I was divorced I breathed the biggest sigh of relief that I didn't HAVE to watch it any more or keep up with the statistics, etc. We even bet on all the games. That was our life.

Popular Posts