The New Parental Authorities

Back in those hazy days nearly a year ago when I was getting ready to leave the hospital with K, it seemed like I kept getting handed lots of things to take home. Of course, you usually get a few things to come home with the new little bundle, but with this one, they sent a box full of DVDs on parenting home with me too. It was called an Arizona New Parents Kit, and did I ever even open it? No-- what mother of four has time to break out five DVDs to learn how to take care of her new baby? (Also, in the interest of complete disclosure, I must admit that I was a little too nervous to hear what they had to say because I really didn't want to give myself any more reasons to feel guilty about not being a perfect parent. Better to head that perfectionist part of me off at the pass.)

Well, yesterday B and J broke out the DVDs. I warned them ahead of time that they would probably be bored, but to my surprise, they watched ALL of them. And then watched them again this afternoon. J has decided that he knows exactly what to do with a baby. He came to me last night and sternly informed me that K is not allowed to play with any guns. (Good to know!) This morning, he cheerfully told me he is not supposed to eat any junk food and got out an orange. (Of course, he followed that with about four cookies.) Then, when K popped a piece of carrot in his mouth from off the kitchen floor, both B and J ran right over. "K has something in his mouth!" B exclaimed in horror. Then she pried his mouth open and used the finger sweep on him.

I'm not joking. Guess those videos were useful after all!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Oh my! That is funny! well the videos came into use. That is funny that kids would like to watch those type of video's.
Anonymous said…
It has probably made them feel really grown up and responsible, and that's a pretty good feeling for kids. Ha ha Too funny though.
Abby said…
Are they serious? How many Arizonians are handing guns to their newborns?
VKMyers said…
Well, now, I feel ripped off. I didn't get the Arizona New Parents kit. I got to sit through a miserable hour long class on hard chairs! I'm going to demand my money back!
mom said…
Funnnnyyy!!
Stefanie said…
I'll have to dig mine out and see if the girls will watch them. How did Primary go on Sunday?

Popular Posts