Dad's Turn

It's Father's Day! In honor of that I thought I'd share some of my favorite memories of my dad:
  • The very first ward we lived in when our family moved to San Diego decided to have a daddy/daughter campout, instead of just the usual fathers & sons one. My dad bravely took all three of us to the campout, and I remember having lots of fun. But my most distinct memory from that night was huddling in blankets in the van while my dad told us a scary story about "The Chair." My dad is an excellent storyteller. His vivid tale terrified me, but for some reason, this stuck in my memory as a very good time!
  • When I was in elementary school, my mother worked as a deli/bakery manager in a grocery store. This meant that she inevitably had to work on Saturdays. That left my dad in charge of making sure we got our Saturday chores done. (No picnic, that.) One Saturday, out of the blue, my dad told us that if we got our chores done quickly, he would take us to the waterslides that afternoon. Once my sisters and I got over the shock, I think we worked faster than we ever had in our lives. Dad kept his word and we had a ton of fun on the waterslides! (I wonder if it would work on my own kids. . . .)
  • Every year my father would take me on a birthday date. I looked forward to it so much! I got to choose where we ate dinner and then something to do afterward. (It seems like I stuck with miniature golf or a movie most years.) My dad also took these times also to teach me about date etiquette, like letting the guy open your door and walk on the outside of the sidewalk and pay the bill. (Too bad some of the guys I dated didn't get these lessons too.)
  • Once I went away to college in Utah, I got dreadfully homesick. (Trust me, I liked Provo and all, but it still was like a foreign planet to me at times.) During the three years I was away at school, my dad took every chance to travel to Utah, taking the work projects that came up even if it wouldn't normally be his job. He would come and take me to eat at Mulboon's. I'd get a yummy fruit smoothie and gorge myself on peel-and-eat shrimp. Best of all, just for a little while I'd get to feel like I was home with my dad again.
  • On my mission, my dad did nearly the same thing. Since I went to New York and my dad travels to that area for business fairly often, he could have seen me half a dozen different times. (Once, my mission president even gave him permission to take me out to dinner for my birthday, but my dad declined.) My dad was wiser than I was-- he knew that if I saw my parents while on my mission it would make things harder, not easier-- but he always left a care package for me at the mission office. Those care packages were like getting a hug from my dad. (He always included a box of Lucky Charms, so now whenever I see that cereal I think of my dad.)
  • Of course, one of my most distinct memories of my dad was on my wedding day. Dad was there in the temple with me, and there at my reception. That dance with my father at the reception is one I will always remember. But most of all, it meant so much to me that my father supported my choice to marry Terence, and that he was able to be there for the sealing.
  • I have so many wonderful memories of my dad with my kids that I can't just pick one. My dad has just been a wonderful grandpa. He's so patient and fun and they love to be around him. Just recently he took the older grandchildren camping, and they are still asking when he will take them again. (I don't think he told them "The Chair" story though. Maybe that's a good thing?)
Well, those are only a few of my favorite memories, but they should leave you in no doubt that I have a wonderful dad, and I appreciate all he has done for me over the years. It's not easy to be a father, especially since we don't come with owner's manuals. Thank you, Dad, for choosing to be a part of my life and taking such good care of me! I love you!

Comments

Lissy said…
What fun memories! I love your parents! Mine too :) I feel so blessed to have such a loving family!
Abby said…
That was so sweet. And how hard that must have been to decline to see his first baby girl on her mission; but he did it for your good. That's a good man there.

Also, I loved when he'd come to Provo to take you to Mulboon's, too, because it meant he'd take me as well. What a generous guy! :)
Anonymous said…
Awww, he's the BEST! I LOVE his calm demeanor and ability to diffuse problems, like he has done at our family reunions. I always wished he could have been our LFO president. He has such great qualifications.
Kaycee said…
what a great post! what cute stories, sounds like you have one great dad!

Popular Posts