Lose-Lose Situation

It's that time of year again! You mean the time of summer joy: ice cream, sparklers, swimming, barbecuing and no homework battles? Well, it is that time of year, and I am enjoying the lack of monsoon humidity quite a bit. But what I'm actually referring to is the infestation of the land by large colorful signs bearing the names of people you've never heard of, or people you wish you'd never heard of.

Oh yes, it must be nearing election time. The primary elections in my state are looming over us in two months' time. And for some reason, I find the primary elections more disturbing than the regular elections. I think it is because you watch two (or more) people who ostensibly have the same political ideology treat each other like scum, only to turn around after the primary and have the loser praise the winner to the skies, in a grand effort of party solidarity.

Blech. Double blech.

OK, in a super rare situation, you may have two political candidates who are respectful of each other and simply stick to sharing their own core beliefs and solutions to try and gain our votes. But right now in Arizona we are blessed to witness the kind of mudslinging campaign that makes me especially want to retch. One of our senators is up for reelection, you see, and unless they intentionally wear blinders to any and all political shenanigans, all Arizonans have certainly heard or read some of the nasty attacks that are going on between our two major Republican candidates: JD Hayworth and John McCain.

This particular race has been unusual for our home because at the beginning it became pretty clear that Terence and I would be voting for different people. Very uncommon behavior for us, but Terence has always liked Hayworth, while I've always found him irritating. But there is also no doubt that with every year that passes I have become more and more disenchanted with having McCain as a senator. And quite frankly, with his version of a campaign over the last two months, I've grown to despise the man.

I don't think I can vote for him. My whole being revolts at the thought. But the thought of choosing Hayworth is also repugnant. (Well, except there is that little Yankees/Lakers hater in me that likes to cheer for the underdog. But up to this point I've managed not to vote for someone just because they are the underdog.) What to do then?

Unless there is some unknown kind, professional person that at least somewhat lines up with my political views running for senator, I've only got four choices in August as I see it:

1. Skip voting altogether.
2. Vote for someone I find revolting, but less revolting than the other person.
3. Close my eyes and randomly pick.
4. Write in somebody who isn't running and has no chance of ever being a senator, just so I can say I voted.

What would you choose to do in my position?

Comments

Abby said…
We had this situation in Colorado many years ago. It was the gubernatorial race and I hated the Democrat running, but I couldn't STAND the Republican running. You could see the lies pouring out of his mouth when he spoke. No way I was voting for that. So I voted for a guy in a third party. I don't even remember who, just some dude who wasn't a jerk. But just doing that made a statement I think. Rising numbers in the third parties sends a message.

And if nothing else, I've always been proud of the decision I made. Years later it was proven what a lying, conniving, money-grubbing thief that Republican (who won the race) actually was and I've always been relieved that I never voted for him--that I refused to vote for him. I don't feel like I threw away my vote. I DID vote and I voted against both of them. I think that says more than just not voting at all.
Heidi said…
Well, at least I can do that when it comes to the general election in November. What I'm going to do in the primaries when it's just the two of them, I don't know. I'm really hoping someone else is going to run against them both.
Jean said…
I am thinking that I will vote in the primary for the other offices but NOT for the senate seat as a statement that I am not pleased with either candidate. I am so disappointed in McCain for taking the more traditional politician's road of swaying in the breeze...maybe he is just getting too old! (I used to be a big fan of McCain; a politician who appeared to vote in compliance with his own reasonably refreshing standards of morality and government spending -standing apart from the crowd for responsibility in government--no more does he appear this way to me. It seems the party machine ate him up!)
Kaycee said…
I have no idea, sorry.

Popular Posts