Floating

This morning started out kind of unpromising.  I had trouble dragging myself out of bed-- Terence and I had stayed up watching a movie together, something we rarely get the chance to do.  (He had a very rare Wednesday night off to make up for working last Sunday.)  Really, considering my zombie state when I stumbled out of my room, it was amazing I managed to get the kids to school on time this morning.  (We made it just barely.)  I made it to the gym with K and S with plans to hit the elliptical machine and then swim laps, but right after I finished my lung-bursting intervals on the elliptical, one of the child care ladies appeared to let me know that S had had a diaper explosion everywhere.  Not good! (Especially since I had left the diaper bag in the van.)

That unfortunate incident ended my workout at the gym.  (Nothing like trying to carry a poop-smeared baby away from your body out to the car while trying frantically to keep your 3 year old from dragging the ID card camera off the counter!)  I was very disappointed when I had gotten S cleaned up and the kids loaded in the car.  Not much of a workout.

At home things turned around.  Terence had gotten up only to let me know that he wasn't feeling very well and would be skipping his own gym visit.  Then he offered to take over the kids so I could go swim at our community pool.  I jumped at the opportunity, though privately I was a little afraid the pool was going to be dirty and freezing.  (It isn't heated, and we've had some storms and cooler nights lately.)

It turned out to be a fabulous battery-recharging opportunity!!

The pool was crystal clear and surprisingly clean.  No plethora of bugs or trash or leaves or frogs swimming around.  I dipped my toes in and thought it felt a bit chilly-- the air temps were only in the low 80's, which for us is rather cool, even at this time of year.  So I decided to just take the plunge, diving right in.  It felt great!

My laps went smoothly and when I finished I decided to float for awhile.  Floating, just like swimming freestyle, was a skill I didn't learn until I was in my 30's.  I love it, and I don't get to do it very often.  (Usually I'm keeping an eagle eye on a mass of splashing kids or hurriedly trying to get my laps finished so I can get back to my kids before whoever is watching them loses their mind.)

Floating was glorious!  The pool was completely empty except for me, so I just pushed myself out in the middle of the deep lap lanes and closed my eyes, blissfully upheld by the water.  Every so often I would stroke a little to readjust, but for the most part I could have been peacefully drifting through the air.  I felt disconnected from the world for a while, buoyant in a little cloud of silent peace.

When I rejoined the world again, I draped myself on a deck chair and let the sun warm my skin.  Great wide expanse of azure sky, birds singing, the faint sound of landscapers working in the distance.  The smell of freshly cut grass and a faint whiff of chlorine clinging to my skin.  No hurry, no to-do list on my mind, no sweating or pesky mosquitoes to spoil my mood.  Eventually, I had to pack my stuff back up and get on the bike to head home.  But for once, my life waiting for me didn't seem overwhelming.

What a gift I was given this morning!

Comments

Popular Posts