Quizzing the Fam

Tonight I was thinking about how my kids change without me realizing it.  I guess it should have been obvious that they were going to change as they got older, but for some reason I thought certain things would stay the same.  M's favorite color for years was purple; she always chose purple for things, and I was kind of shocked the last time I bought her something purple and she groaned.  "Why didn't you get me blue?" she moaned.  "Blue is my favorite color!"

It is?  When did that happen?

Anyway, just for the heck of it, I drew up a short list of questions to ask my older kids about things they like or don't like.  Mostly I was curious to see what answers they would give and whether they would match my expectations.  (I decided to add Terence in too.  Why not see how well I know my husband, right?)

Here is what I learned:

M

What is your favorite color? Blue.  Just what I thought.  Only because she pretty recently informed me.  Glad it hasn't changed yet though!

What is your favorite food?  Tomatoes.  I would have gone with mashed potatoes since she begs to make them several times a week.  But tomatoes would have been a close second.  They're the first thing she asks to eat when I get home from grocery shopping.

What are you most afraid of?  She's not sure because there are too many things. I had the same trouble.  I kind of figured she'd pick fires since we had one in the neighborhood so recently.

What is your favorite thing to do?   Play on the computer. I would have specifically picked play Bearville.com on the computer.  I guess I needed to think more broadly.

J

What is your favorite color? Green.  I was at a complete loss.  I knew it used to be orange, but he hasn't made a big deal about a specific color in ages.

What is your favorite food?  Ice cream.  Hmm.  I would have said pizza.  Strike!

What are you most afraid of?  The dark.  Dang!  I had a list ready: fires, hurricanes, volcanoes, lightning & thunder, flash floods, etc.  The dark didn't even make my list!

What is your favorite thing to do?  Play games.  Again, I needed to think more broadly.  I thought for sure video games would be the answer.  But when I asked him if there was a specific kind of game, he said he likes all kinds of games.  Oh.

B

What is your favorite color?  Pink.  Ding ding ding! I would have gotten this one right.

What is your favorite food?   I don't know.  Hey, I would have gotten this one right too!  I can come up with a list of foods she doesn't like though. . . .

What are you most afraid of?  Spiders.  Well, I was off on this one.  I thought it would be fires.  Specifically her stuffed animals burning up in a fire.  Goodness knows I heard about this one over and over.

What is your favorite thing to do?  Play with toys.  Bingo!  So far it looks like I know B the best.

Terence

What is your favorite color?  Too many to choose one.  I would have been at a loss too.  Good to know I'm not the only one.

What is your favorite food?  Food.  I guess my honey just likes to eat!  I would have chosen fried chicken though.  My pick was too specific again.

What are you most afraid of?  Lightning.  I nailed this one.

What is your favorite thing to do?  Lift heavy weights.  I would have guessed watching YouTube clips because he spends most of his free time doing this.  What do I know?


I wish I could ask K and S!  That would be interesting.  But K is sleeping, and I'm not sure S even has an opinion yet.  Still, it was quite interesting to learn how much I didn't know about the people closest to me.  I might have to do this more often, just so I keep up with them!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
I have been reading your blog on my ipad and it is the biggest pain to fight with it so I can leave comments. That's why I haven't left any comments lately... comments have to wait until I get on my home computer which is probably once every other month or so.
I love this post, and how interesting it is. Kids change their likes and interests so quickly it's difficult to keep up with. It made me wonder if I would know any of these things with Cole. Max is still young enough I know everything about him. ;) ha!

Popular Posts