Full Disclosure

I am really going out on a limb by posting this.  It takes a little courage, I guess, because I'm opening myself up to judgement.  (I know that some of you will judge me; it's one of those human things we really have to fight against.)  But I hear so much from other discouraged moms who wonder if they are the only ones living in chaos while their friends' houses are picture perfect.  Since I get so many comments from kind friends about how amazed they are with all I get done, I thought I'd share what "getting it all done" leaves undone at our house.

These pictures were all taken on Sunday morning-- they show my house in a pretty normal state.  It's not extra messy, which I promise it often is.  Nor does it show my house after I've had a chance to spend several hours cleaning.  So this would be kind of an average state of disarray.

So I'm taking a deep breath, and here we go:

First up is a shot of our living room.  Here we have 3 loads of clean laundry waiting to be folded.  (That doesn't include 2 more loads in a basket by the laundry room nor the clean load still sitting in the dryer.)


Here's a shot of my kitchen counter.  (Yes, that's the same kitchen counter I used as Exhibit A last month.)  Really, it's not too bad because I had completely cleaned it off Friday, and B did the dishes Saturday.


 The girls' room.  3 girls in 1 room.  'Nuff said.                 


  K's artwork near our calendar.  Nice and organized and decorated, isn't it?


The hallway.  Not so bad, I guess.  The laundry sorter looks like it's going to fall over though...and since I have all those piles of clean laundry to be folded, there are no mounds of dirty clothes overflowing from the sorter either.


This is the most embarrassing picture of them all.  It's my computer desk.  Yes, it looks like this right now, as I am typing this.  Can you believe I can stand to sit at it?  (It only takes about 2 days for my completely clean and organized workspace to turn into this.  Sad.


So you other moms out there, do you feel better yet?  Hopefully you are either relieved that you don't live like this or relieved to find out that you aren't the only one living in a chaotic house.  Hopefully either makes you feel better about your own job as a mom!!

Comments

Amy said…
I am still amazed at all that you do keep up with, having 5 kids. I have 1 (2ish) and I still have loads of clean laundry waiting to be folder to put away and a desk that is a big pile of "needs to be organized" paper. I think you are doing an awesome job!
Anonymous said…
Gee, Heidi, it's wonderful to know how human you are. Since I've been there, done that (5 kids) I remember it all, and I don't know of anyone who can keep things neat and organized 100% of the time (unless they have paid help). You just take each day as it comes and do the best you can. You're still Mrs. Awesome and I'm totally amazed at all that you accomplish.
Ashlie Dalton said…
You are a great mom and wife! I can't imagine keeping with a house when you have 5 kids... I have a hard enough time with 2. :)
Life isn't all about a clean house at all times, you have a lot on your plate and do an amazing job.

Popular Posts