Lacking "The Eye"-- and the Desire

I have a confession to make.

I am NOT crafty.

There.  I've said it.  It's kind of an unusual characteristic for a Mormon stay-at-home mom, I know.  The stereotype is that we are all scrapbooking, quilting, artsy, decorating types-- with some canning and casserole flair thrown in.

(By the way, growing up I really thought this was only a stereotype.  Especially when I got to college, when none of the women I interacted with were much into any of this stuff.  But as an adult I've noticed that these kind of pastimes are very common among my church friends.  And have you ever noticed that the Relief Society activities where we are doing something artsy/crafty get the best attendance?  I have.)

Lest you read a note of bitterness or smugness here, I am not resentful nor do I look down on the ladies who are crafty.  I've actually spent a fair amount of time making quilts, working on scrapbooks, and even painting some kind of object.  But usually I do this stuff because I enjoy spending the time socializing with others who are doing these activities.  Not because I love to spend my free time doing such things.  Part of it probably has to do with how I just don't seem to have a feel for good decorating or design.  My house is anything but decorated (and probably wouldn't be, even if the kids didn't destroy everything).  I can pick between already decorated rooms and tell you which I like better, but as for coming up with stuff I like on my own?  I'm terrible.  That applies to crafts too.  My creativity lies with words rather than colors or objects.

Last Thursday we had a Relief Society activity, a craft night.  There were several different little crafty Christmas decorations you could choose to make.  I admit, as soon as I learned we would be doing crafts, I crossed it off my busy to do list.  These activities are often hard to get to for me-- they come after a full day of driving everywhere, chores, the homework grind, and teaching piano lessons.  Since Terence usually has to work, it also means I have to drag all five kids off fairly late at night and it means that no one will be in bed before 10 pm.  I really have to be motivated to do this, and sitting at a table working at a craft just wasn't enough to inspire me.

However, the Relief Society president said she had someone she really wanted to introduce to me that night, and Terence ended up with the night off, so I found myself sitting at a table painting a little wooden birdhouse.  My painting skills are passable but like I said, my eye for style is not.  My colors were not original (somebody actually pointed out how "traditional" I was by painting my house the same as the completed example birdhouse), and figuring out where to stick the little snips of fake berries and greenery was a nightmare.  And my "dusting of snow" on top looked like rigid rows of snowballs rather than a dusting.  Oh well.  The fun part was getting out of the house without children, socializing with several women very different from myself, and treating myself to some hot chocolate with marshmallows in it.  Plus I got to enjoy the other beautiful crafts that the other women made.  I may not be able to replicate their skill, but I can still appreciate it!

Just keep in mind that appreciation doesn't mean a burning desire to jump in.  I don't think I'll be taking up one sister's offer to come use her Cricut any time soon.  She offered when I complained that I'm not so great at the crafty stuff.  Supposedly it would help me, but I'm not even entirely sure what a Cricut is used for.  Somehow I doubt the function of a Cricut is to impart the desire to craft!

Comments

lanitapete said…
I'm SO glad that you realize where your talents lie and pursue that field, and not feel like you have to "go with the flow". That would surely make your life so much more stressful!

Popular Posts