The P.T. Gig

Back in the day, when "homemaker" as a future job title would have made me snort in disbelief, there was another job I never thought I'd take on: piano teacher.  (For the short idea of why, see this post.)  Well, back in 2009 I was facing a bit of a dilemma.  First, my piano was in desperate need of TLC.  Second, I caught the triathlon bug.  And our budget was so tight that there was no way I could pay for either.  So in a moment of inspiration (or desperation) I decided to take on the mind-boggling challenge of teaching some beginning level piano lessons.

I knew at the beginning that I was going to be a casual teacher, offering somewhat low-key lessons.  (It had to be that way since I had a houseful of kiddos.)  But I wasn't at all sure where to start so I sought the advice of my own piano teacher-- yes, I'm still in contact with her-- as well as three of my piano-teaching aunts.  Then I started teaching M and my niece Kylie so that I could get some idea of how to teach before I made people pay for it.  My aunts and Ev (my teacher) were extremely kind and responded right away with all kinds of advice.  Ev even sent me a copy of her piano contract so I could get an idea of what one should look like.  I learned a lot but didn't think much of it would apply to me.  I was going to be a casual teacher after all, teaching just a few of my friends' children.  (Required practice times?  Late fees for late payments?  No refunds? A policy for when you get "fired" as a student?  Pshaw.  That was for the ladies who were running a serious piano studio.  You know, with grand pianos and recitals and stuff.)  I was so set on being casual that when I took on my very first (non-relative) students, I didn't write up any kind of contract at all.

Boy, have I learned better since!

I've now been teaching lessons for almost four years.  Originally I had decided offering only five piano spots (including my niece).  I'm currently teaching ten (including M & B), and I've gone as high as twelve (too much!)  And I've learned that my aunts and Ev all had some very good reasons for their strict rules.  So if you ever decide to take on this music lesson stuff yourself, here are some things to keep in mind.

1.  People will forget (and forget . . . and forget again) to pay you.  It's even worse when it's your friends.  Practice your nice (and firm) voice asking for the month's piano fees-- and get them up front, so you don't end up teaching a month's worth of lessons you never get paid for when the child quits before mom "remembers" to pay.  (Yes, this happened to me.)

2.  Kids don't practice much.  I understand this, since I was a serial non-practicer.  But insist on some kind of progress, regardless, or everybody is just wasting their time.  Practice your nice (and firm) voice, telling a parent that it is time for their child to quit taking lessons until they are ready to commit to practicing.  (Yes, I've "fired" a couple of students by now.  It's never fun, but usually a child who doesn't practice ever is relieved by this.)

3.  Don't refund money for missed lessons.  Period.  I still do a little bit-- applying a lesson fee to the next month if I'm given enough notice, just to encourage the parents to let me know ahead of time if they are going to miss a lesson.  But it only kind of works, and nothing is worse than arranging your schedule to be home for these lessons only to have a no-show with no explanation.  And it happens A LOT.

4.  Most important, write up a contract with all these things stated clearly and make the parents sign it before the child starts lessons!  It reminds everybody right from the beginning that you are providing a professional service, not a charitable service.  And it lets everybody know up front what your expectations are!

I still have a ways to go in applying all that I've learned-- my mom and my aunt have been pestering me for a long time to raise my rates, since they are waaay below market for music lessons.  I'm still dithering about that, for a couple of reasons.  But there is a good possibility that should I take on any new students from this point on, the rates will be higher.  My time is getting more and more precious.  On the whole, though, teaching has been a very positive experience.  I've learned quite a bit, and I've enjoyed getting to know each of the children I've had the opportunity to teach.  If you are in a position to teach something like this, consider it.  It may be just the adventure (and extra income) that you've been looking for!

Comments

Popular Posts