Either or Both (Or Neither?)

Is it possible to be both lazy and an overachiever at the same time?  That's what I feel like most days.  Terence scoffs at this because he says that in no rational sense can I be considered lazy.  But I don't know about that.  Seems that anyone who ends up sitting in front of the computer and reading blog comments or playing Bubble Safari for an hour qualifies as lazy.  Especially if that person has children who need her attention and a house in a mass state of confusion.  The overachiever part comes because I tend to add more and more stuff to my plate as the day goes on, quite certain that I'll be able to get to everything.  And sometimes I just overbook myself-- trying to take care of my kids, trying to serve others, trying to single-handedly maintain our house (drywall patching and painting up next), trying to write a novel, trying to arbitrate records for FamilySearch, trying to involve my kids in some activities, trying to teach piano, trying to stay in shape, and trying to develop friendships (which takes some serious stretching on my part, I'm not good at this in person).

Terence says what I consider being lazy is just a hard-working gal taking her deserved break.  Yesterday he pointed out that if I put in a 16 hour day of work then taking four hours to chill is not unreasonable.  The problem is that if I follow that model I only have four hours to sleep.  Not enough hours in the day.  So really, taking more than an hour or two would be laziness on my part.  (And that two hours of downtime needs to include what I call my hobbies-- blogging, working on the novel, reading whatever random book is next on my list, and taking surveys-- if I'm going to use my time wisely, right?  Not just sitting and playing on Facebook for two hours straight.)

I guess in my own way I am both the workhorse at whom people shake their head at disbelief when they hear what I tackle in a day and also the stay-at-home mom who fits the stereotype of someone who gets massively long breaks from working yet complains about how busy and exhausted she is. Or maybe I have an inflated view of my own traits and I'm just going through an average day, neither trying to do too much nor recreating too much.  (My own exhaustion come 7 pm seems to belie this though.)

My belief is yes, it is possible to be lazy and an overachiever.  Just depends which day of the week you catch me.

Comments

Kami said…
I love everything about your overachieving self!! You bring balance and insight to my life, and I know that has to come from having it in your own.....even on those days where the balance is shifting rapidly. Thank you for being who you are, my friend.

Popular Posts