Toddler- 3, Mom- 0

Thursday morning got off to a not-so-great start.  Generally, I am a morning person.  Though I may be depressed and gloomy and sure that the world is ending for completely irrationally reasons at night, the next day I am mostly chipper and energetic and ready to tackle things again.  However, for some reason I still haven't figure out I woke up Thursday morning just as blue as I was when I went to bed Wednesday night.  (It felt like hormonal issues, but it isn't the normal time of the cycle for this so it's a mystery.)  Anyway, Thursday morning was just blah.  I had a ginormous list ahead of me and zero enthusiasm for tackling it.

Still, life has to go on.  The one bright spot of my morning was that S's endless runny nose seemed to have dried up at last so the gym was finally back on the docket.  I was hoping that a stint with a variety of cardio machines would kick my endorphins into high gear and drive the blues away.  Alas, it was not to be.

Just before we reached the kids' school, S threw up.  Eeek!  So much for the gym.  I dropped the older ones off and we stopped at a nearby park to do some damage control.  Fortunately, it wasn't too bad.  Just about all of it was water and only a smidgen of her breakfast.  Made me wonder if she had choked and then gagged on the water she was drinking or something.  But she was soaked through (and I didn't want to take the risk of taking her to the gym anyway and then finding out she had the stomach flu) so we headed back home.

I got S bathed (and K, while I was at it-- oh, and I scrubbed the bathroom floor too, might as well multi-task when you've got kids in the tub) and then got her down for a morning nap.  Then I tackled the car.  It needed to be vacuumed and scrubbed anyway, right?  So S throwing up just made sure I got that chore done.  It was helpful.  (That's what I kept telling myself.)

Needless to say, I didn't get any kind of workout in that morning.

When it was time to pick up the kids, S seemed to be feeling much herself again so I gave her a cracker and some water again just before we left.  Then we went to pick up the kids.  We had to make the trek from the school to the library to get some sources for M's biographical report,  which sources were already overdue.  Unfortunately, we don't exactly live down the street from the library.  After about 25 minutes of driving, S threw up again.

Oh lawsy.  We were about 5 minutes from the library and quite a ways from our house.  No way could we go home.  We would just have to make the library stop as quick as possible.  Luckily I had plenty of baby wipes so I could do an emergency clean up of the front of her shortalls.  (She still smelled a bit, but it wasn't too bad.)  In the library I carried her around while I tried to help M find some useful books but she perked up and kept trying to pull books off the shelves too.  In desperation I plopped her in a chair next to B and hoped that her sister's computer game would keep her entertained long enough for me to ransack the library for anything that mentioned Carol Burnett.

This is not a large library though.  We only found one book-- one we could have gotten information about online.  Our library trip had been for nothing.  Discouraged, I decided to round the kids up quickly and get going before S decided to upchuck again.  But when I went to retrieve her, she was gone.  A minute of hunting later I found her playing with the toys in the children's area.  I zeroed in immediately on the fact that her shortalls were soaked in the back.  Dropping my eyes to the floor I realized that she was sitting on a large damp patch of carpet.

Oh no.  A diaper leak?  Really?  The girl had barely had any fluid at all!  I went to pick her up and check the damage and then felt nothing but bare bottom.  Yes, my little girl had unsnapped her shortalls and pulled her diaper off.  Then of course she had to pee before I could catch her.

It's a good thing these library people know us well.  When I went to the front desk and explained the situation, the librarian said nary a word of reproach but returned quickly with a load of paper towels and some cleaner for me to use.  (My mom pointed out that I was quite a responsible mom. She admitted that she probably would have just grabbed the child and made a run for it.  Trust me, the thought occurred to me.)

I did find the diaper-- on the floor on the other side of the library.  A perfectly dry diaper.  Grrrr.

I wish I could say that my day didn't get any worse.  How could it?  Let's just say that by 10:30 pm I still had four children awake and two of them still had homework to do.

The only bright spot is that S apparently didn't have a stomach bug.  Other than her two minor episodes, she ate completely normally and acted completely normally (if you count the three hours of missed-afternoon-nap fussiness "normal"), never ran a fever, never had any other problems or symptoms.  Maybe she gets carsick now. . . I hope not! I don't know if I'm up for this on a regular basis!!!

UPDATE: Actually, S did have a stomach bug.  How do I know?  Because Friday night B started throwing up.  Then it hit me Saturday morning.  Oh one of the joys of the life.  So far it's just been the three of us, but chances are we're only halfway done. . . wish me luck!

Comments

Amy said…
ah, man you have the worst luck with throwing up in the car. I hope everyone is feeling better!

Popular Posts