K Drama

My poor exhausted body would just like to be lying in bed right about now.  Then why on earth am I blogging?  Well, I have a load of laundry in the dryer that needs to be hung up as soon as it's finished or everything in it will need to be ironed.  I hate ironing.  I hate ironing so much I am willing to stay up in order to spare myself.  Especially since several items of clothing will be needed for early morning church tomorrow.  I think I would doubly loathe ironing at 5:00 am.

I figured I'd jump on the blog for a few minutes, now that my list of "have-to's" before bed is finished.  I could read-- I have plenty of books that are waiting patiently for me to pick them up again-- but I don't think reading anything could keep me awake right now.  So typing it is.  Besides, I was kind of getting behind on the blog.  All my writing time has been devoted to paragraphs of thoughts and observations while reading Democracy in America.  Not much left over for the blog.  I think I'll have to budget my time better if I'm going to keep blogging and try this program of studying the classics.

Today I had a new first aid (kind of) experience with my kids.  After having five kiddos-- and being around or consulted for injuries involving cousins and friends-- I've already seen most minor injuries and a few major ones as well.  Over time I've learned how to keep calm during any incident involving blood or pain, and I'm become almost laid back about these things compared to some moms.  Today's incident involving K was both minor and one of those most challenging I've dealt with in quite awhile.

K got sunscreen in his eye.  It was mostly my fault.  While trying to put that lotion sunscreen on his face, I got some on his eyelid.  He was jerking around and flailing and I finally decided that since it wasn't bugging him right then, it wasn't going to get into his eye and all was well.

Not so, my dear naive Heidi.  Not so.

For the first few minutes all was fine and dandy.  I even have a picture:

That's K, swimming happily in the spa with Justin
But quickly, all turned into a nightmare.  The sunscreen got wet and ran down into his eye.  Yikes!!!  I can imagine it hurts but I wasn't prepared for the intermittent screaming and panicking that lasted all the way until bedtime.  Yes, about nine hours of off and on drama.  By this evening his eye had swelled so much I could barely get it open at all to check on it.  Online first aid info enlightened me that sunscreen in the eye will be painful for several hours, but other than rinsing the eye repeatedly with water, there isn't much that needs to be done other than wait.  (It doesn't cause any permanent injury to the eye.)

I tried all kinds of things to try make him feel better or distract him.  We watched a movie on volcanoes-- K loves volcanoes-- but that didn't work.  We tried a pack of frozen zucchini wrapped in a washcloth to help ease the swelling.  Kristi graciously sent down eye drops, which I managed to squeeze into his eyes while he shrieked like I was murdering him.  I even gave him some children's ibuprofen, hoping to ease the swelling and the pain a bit.  Nothing worked so well as having his mom hold him and croon that things were going to be fine.

Needless to say it was a LONG afternoon and evening and I was very relieved when the poor boy conked out on the couch.  (I should go move him into bed but I'm too afraid that he will wake up and we'll start all over.)

Another learning experience to chalk up, for both of us.  I think in the future I'm going to use a stick sunscreen on faces-- or possibly no sunscreen at all.

Comments

Kaycee said…
oh! Poor boy!! That would hurt so bad! I can just imagine!

Popular Posts