Schooling, Books, and Expanding Horizons

In the spirit of trying to make sure that my kids get the best education possible, I've been continuing on my journey of researching the homeschooling option.  But Heidi, you may say, it's summer!!!  Why the heck are you worried about school?  Take a break while you can!

I don't know if it's a premonition or inspiration or just sheer perfection raising its ugly head, but I feel the driving need to really do something to improve my kids' education.  Even if it is summer.  Besides, our summers are so short that before I have time to catch my breath it will be time to plunge back in again.

So far, I cannot dismiss homeschooling as a solution I may need to turn to.  Right now, it doesn't feel like the best fit for our family.  But there is a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I need to be thoroughly prepared for this possibility, if only to fill in the gaps from school.  Just recently, I started learning about the Thomas Jefferson Education model, which I know at least two of my friends are using in their homeschooling.  I borrowed the book A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille from DeAyn so I could get an idea of just what the philosophy is.

Thus far I like it.  I really like it.  I'm just not sure if I could be successful at it.  But the author suggests that you start with yourself, so I am embarking on a study of the classics.  That is my summer project.  First up on my list?  Democracy in America by Alexis de Toqueville and On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres by Copernicus.  We'll see how it goes.  At the very least I will be stretching my own brain quite a bit!

One of the assignments that DeMille gives you in the book was intriguing.  He asks three questions and you are supposed to write the answers down on paper so you can refer to them.  I couldn't write at the time I was reading it (I was on the exercise bike at the gym) but I'll go ahead and do it here:

1.  What books are your companions through life?

This is a hard because I have so many favorites, books that I read over and over again.  But the books that make the short list are probably the scriptures (as a Mormon this means The Book of Mormon, The Bible, Doctrine & Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price), The Lord of the Rings, the Anne of Green Gables series, Jane Eyre, all of Jane Austen's novels (except Mansfield Park), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Illusion by Paula Volsky.

2.  If you were evacuated to another planet and could only take one book, upon which to base the whole teaching of your family and establishing right and wrong for your community, what would it be?

The scriptures, in my quadruple set all together :).  If I had to pick one book from among the scriptures, it would be The Book of Mormon.

3.  What is good?  What is evil?

Perhaps my answers here are a little simplistic, but my basic definition is that "good" is anything that brings us closer to God and "evil" is anything that divides us from Him.  The trick, of course, is knowing what that is!  (Hence the need for scriptures and prophets and prayer. . . .)


Later in the same chapter, DeMille suggests that the book I chose for #2 would be my "national book," the book that contains my central truth.  It is essential to defining what my moral compass is.  Looking at my answer, I would say that is spot on.  Then, he suggests that I look at my answer to #1-- are the books I turn to frequently in line with what I am taught by #2 and what I believe according to #3?  Fortunately, I believe I can say yes to that question.  I've long known that what I read can either uplift me and encourage me to strive to be a better person or drag me down and leave me floundering and confused.  The hope is that by increasing my study of the classics I'll broaden that category of #1 books.

What about you?  Which books are your companions?  What is your national book?  What do you believe about good and evil?  Do you read things that help support and encourage you in line with your own moral center?

Here's to an interesting summer of mind-expanding opportunities!  I am excited to venture out in some new directions!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes I just think you're a genius. You can talk about SO many subjects and write with such clarity and sense that it amazes me. You have such a wonderful talent. You would make a great home-school teacher. I hope it works out if you decide to do it.
Kaycee said…
That is awesome! I agree with everything my grandma just said.
so would you homeschool only during summer, or instead of public school?
Heidi said…
If I decided to homeschool it would be instead of the charter they're going to right now. But probably I'll just add some extra stuff at home on top of the regular school to make sure my kids are actually learning how to think :-)

Popular Posts