Holiday Hangover

OK, I don't have a real hangover, the kind that involves alcohol.  But today's splitting headache probably comes pretty close.

Too much sugar.  Too much stress.  Too many things to do, even with Christmas being over.  Too many messes to clean up (puke and food and clogged sinks and miscellaneous Christmas wrappings-- and that's just today!)

All I want to do is curl up in bed in my pj's and read.

*Pity party alert!!!!*

I need to stop this now.

Positive thoughts:

  1. I'm going to the movies tomorrow.
  2. S seems to be over the puke bug already.
  3. Ibuprofen actually made a dent in my splitting headache.
  4. Terence is off work.
  5. Most of my primary work for church for the new year is done.  Only an hour or two left to go.  (I have my biggest workload as secretary during the last couple weeks of the year.)
  6. I have a race coming up in two weeks.  (Umm, maybe this isn't a positive thought.  I'm pretty certain this run will be brutal.  But I'll get a nice t-shirt and glass when I survive it!)
  7. I have some fantastic friends and neighbors.  I felt so loved with all the goodies and cards!
Oh yeah, and I got the best Christmas present!!  Here it is:



It's a Dyson Animal.  Yes, these babies are powerful, wonderful vacuums.  We already have a Dyson, a good and faithful one that we bought used.  It's by far the best vacuum we have ever owned (and we have been through a few!)  But our faithful old yellow sucker is dying of old age-- it's about ten years old now, which in our house is ancient (for anything--appliances, furniture, cars, electronics-- nothing survives long here).  Every time I used it another plastic part would crack off.  But I refused to replace it with anything less than an Dyson of equal caliber.  Sometimes it's just better not to skimp.  But money is not plentiful around here, so I've been waiting impatiently for tax return time and keeping my fingers crossed the old vacuum would hold out.

However, my mom has used my vacuum and must have heard me lamenting one too many times.  Terence said I was hinting broadly, but honestly, it had never crossed my mind to ask for a vacuum for Christmas.  After all, it's not the cheap Dyson I wanted.  So you can imagine my delirious excitement when I opened this baby at my parents' house on Christmas.  Apparently, I was a very good girl this year, and my parents decided to spoil me rotten!!!

I used it for the first time yesterday.  It was a powerful sucking dream come true.

So, there I have 8 wonderful reasons not to be depressed.  That should get me through the new year, right??? 

Comments

Stefanie said…
Aww the post Christmas blues. As a child I usually felt a little down Christmas night when the magical day was coming to a close. As a mother, nothing quite prepares you for the shock of seeing your house on the 26th. But as far as post holiday days go, Christmas beats out Halloween and V-day when we're left with wired children and gobs of candy. If it helps know that mothers everywhere share your sentiments. After weeks of prep, stress, shopping, money worries, wrapping, etc by the time Christmas is over we're all exhausted.
And I also received a vacuum for Christmas from Riley. Lest you think he's stuck in the 1950s, it was really a thoughtful gift. Its a small one that is made for hardwood so I don't have the lug the giant one up and down the stairs.
I liked your list. Hang in there.

Popular Posts