I Envy Anne

The Anne of Green Gables book series by LM Montgomery has always been one of my favorites. I reread all eight books probably every year. By the sixth book, Anne has six living children, and once I had kids of my own, I was amazed at how much she still seemed to be able to be involved in. Ladies' Aid afternoon teas, anyone?

It puzzled me for awhile, until I finally made the connection. For one, Anne is in that enviable position of being able to merely send her children out to play or to walk to school on their own or to run errands for her. After all, they send Rilla to deliver a cake to the church for a fundraiser all by herself before she can even attend school yet. Those were the days!!!

But the real reason I wish I had some of Anne's life: No, it's not Gilbert. Yes, I know there are women out there who swoon over Gilbert Blythe as if he were Mr. Darcy. But I married a man just as perfect a match for me so no, I don't wish for the fictional love. It's Susan Baker!!! For those who haven't read the series, when Anne is expecting her first child, they hire a live-in housekeeper who becomes part of the family. Susan is there from the beginning and raises the kids like her own. She is the constant presence in the house to help Anne with the mammoth chore of raising six kids and running a household in the days before washing machines. Oh, if only I had a Susan of my own! What might I be able to accomplish then? She wouldn't have to do everything-- but another pair of hands to share the load day in and day out would be a dream come true!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Oh wouldn't that be nice! I would love that!
It is so different these days. Kids cant just go play out side on their own anymore, or walk to school alone. Too dangerous! So it does put more on us. A nanny or house keeper would be fab! I just want some one to cook and clean.
Anonymous said…
Gee, I've only seen the early "Anne" movies and recorded them when they were on public tv 20 years ago or so. I didn't even know there was more. That was one of my favorite series. I must read the rest. Hope the library has them. You put a lot of thought into that and you're right! Wouldn't it be awesome?!!
Ashlie Dalton said…
I haven't seen those movies since I was probably 10. But I've heard the books are even more wonderful than the movies. I do want to read them, and I will! Thanks for reminding me.
Brooke said…
I'm reading Anne of Avonlea out loud to the kids right now. They really liked Anne of Green Gables. I've never read the whole series before, but I love them.
VKMyers said…
I am with you! It would be so fabulous to have an extra set of hands to help take care of everything. My house might get cleaned every once in a while. :o)

Popular Posts