If I Could Do It Over...

Tonight we were out putting gas in the car when I managed to get one of the automatic sliding doors on the van stuck. We ended up with this annoying beeping sound that wouldn't shut off even after I yanked the door back on track and shut it. I really hate those doors. It's supposed to be a glamorous, helpful feature, but if I could do it over again, I would get a van with just regular old sliding doors. Much less headache!

It got me thinking though. What major decisions have I made in my life that I would choose differently if I could go back? I had a hard time finding things at first-- I'm happy with where I went to college and what I majored in, my decision to go on a mission, marrying Terence, quitting work, buying our home, having each of my babies, etc.

Then I struck gold. "Wait a minute!" I thought. "I NEVER would have dated Esmael!" That got me started. After all, I never would have dated Steve, Chris, Brent, Joel...and that didn't even include the list of guys I never would have kissed that I didn't actually date. (Yes, I know, it's really sad.) I would have told Armando he never had a chance before he tattooed my name on his arm. (Oh, wait, I did tell that guy that! I guess I would go back and word it a bit more strongly though. Obviously he didn't get it.)

Since all of my major regrets involve guys, it's a miracle I'm so happily married! Maybe that was the key though. I had plenty of horrible, embarrassing, or pathetic experiences so that I recognized the prince when I met him. What do you think? Would you go back and change who you dated, or do you think it helped in the end?

Comments

VKMyers said…
I'm sure right after the fact, I would have thought that I wish I wouldn't have. But now, I'm glad I dated who I did. They lead me in a path that directed me toward Clayton. And as Clayton says, they were place holders until he was ready to get married! :o)
Kaycee said…
yeah, I can see how it would make you realize the great man you married. But for me, I wish I didn't date a few men that I did. That is what I would have changed.
Ashlie Dalton said…
You have definitely given me something to think about...
by: Kim said…
I definately would not have dated a return missionary while still in High School. I missed out on alot of my high school memories because we did Young Single Adult stuff instead. I have tried to teach my girls that you should not steady date in High School but they don't listen very well. Living in a small town all you have to do is like someone and everyone thinks you are dating.
Brooke said…
Wow, I never had a guy tattoo my name on him. Thank goodness! I must say though, that I have pondered that same question many times and there are certain guys that I wouldn't have dated, but then again, I think they all led to where I am today -- very happily married. I will say, though, that that is one big reason why I'm not on facebook.
Abby said…
Never wish to change past decisions; each of those decisions, good and bad, have led you to where you are today. If you're happy with today, then your whole life, even the bad parts, have contributed to that happiness in one way or another. And that definitely includes all the hosers you dated/didn't date.

Tattoo? You never told me that. I'm impressed.
Heidi said…
You know the worst part about that tattoo?

I was a missionary at the time. He was an investigator who proposed to me (even got me a ring.)
Abby said…
I do recall the ring incident. I just never knew he got a tattoo at the same time. Now that screams committment.

Popular Posts