More Adventures in Cycling

For those of you who have been waiting on pins and needles for my next triathlon training update, your patience will now be rewarded! Here's the latest of my continuing saga on the path to becoming a triathlete.

First of all, yesterday was a swim/run day. However, when I got up before dawn like normal to walk to the pool, there was a monsoon storm brewing. Now it's pretty unusual to have one of these storms in the morning-- normally they are an afternoon spectacle. So I kept walking, thinking that it really wouldn't be a big deal. Besides, I'm supposed to learn how to do this stuff in any kind of weather. I made it halfway to the pool before I called it quits and went home. The wind was blowing ferociously, and I couldn't keep my eyes open from the dust. And then I heard the rumble of thunder in the distance. Now, I'm no lightning-phobic, but still, I do try to avoid swimming during a thunderstorm.

By afternoon everything was clear and nice, but I couldn't do my normal training because by then I had all the kids. But we went up to my mom's house to go swimming, and I swam around the perimeter of her pool about twenty times. OK, so it's not really as effective as swimming laps, but I think I got some good practice for the actual race when people are swimming into you and over you. Nothing like having your nephew grab onto your legs as you swim past, or your son jump into the water right in front of you!

This morning was a 9 mile bike ride, and the weird storm-in-the-morning weather is still going on. It wasn't a thunderstorm, but it was overcast with about 100% humidity. I refused to be intimidated by the weather this morning though. (I'm not afraid of you, Mr. Monsoon!)

What a morning!

It started out OK, even though it felt like I was biking through a wet blanket. Too muggy for my taste. My first excitement came from a Hispanic guy passing me in a truck and giving me the "Hey, Mamacita!" honk and a leer. Wow, I haven't had that happen since I lived in California. If it wasn't so gross, it would have made me homesick.

Then, about halfway out, it decided to go from just being humid to actually raining on me. Not good. I was wearing a white T-shirt and soon I looked like a wet T-shirt contest participant. (Thank goodness the leering dude had passed earlier!) Apparently, my handlebar grips molt when they get wet so I was getting black gunk all over my hands. Also, I couldn't see because the rain was dripping off my helmet straight into my eyes. (Next time maybe I'll wear my swim goggles. At least I'd be able to see.)

Finally I made it home, all in one piece fortunately. But then I looked down at my clothes. One other thing about monsoon season-- it means lots and lots of bugs. So not only did I look like the Mormon wet T-shirt winner (garment lines anyone?) but I had bugs splattered down my front. They were even plastered to my arms and legs. YUCK!!!!

Don't you just wish you were doing this with me?

Comments

Abby said…
Congrats on the cat-call anyway. I haven't been cat-called since college.
Anonymous said…
I don't know how you do it Heidi! I'll take not eating and taking HCG anyday over all that exercise!
Kristi

Popular Posts