Scored

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but when I'm writing fiction (and usually, even when I update my blog) I like to listen to music. When I'm writing stories, this isn't really so much something I like to do as something I absolutely NEED. I know I'm not the only writer like this-- though what proves to be inspirational for one writer is often completely unhelpful for another.

Anyway, the most helpful songs for me to write to are usually tracks from movie scores. Not movie soundtracks. I've learned there is a big difference. Generally if you find the "soundtrack" you are going to be getting a bunch of whatever music made an appearance in the film, often songs by pop groups or the like. Now this works for some writers (and occasionally sometimes for me if the lyrics or the mood of the song is right) but for someone who writes a lot of sci-fi and fantasy it usually doesn't cut it. Pop music keeps me too firmly rooted in the real world. So over time I've built up quite a collection of various movie scores, the instrumental music that you may or may not notice is being played during a film.

The only trouble is, once I've connected a particular score to a story, I can't really use it for another idea. I have playlists for Legend, Corizen, and about three other stories I've kicked around and each one plops me right back in the mood for its particular story. No good for taking on a new story. So I'm constantly on the lookout for new music that strikes a chord in me, something that says, "Hey, I could write to this!"

Recently, it dawned on me while the kids were watching Spiderman 3 for the gazillionth time that there are a couple of scored parts that would just be perfect for writing to! (Not the whole thing though. But the part where the Sandman comes into existence? Beautiful and haunting! Perfect!) But after a dragged out search through iTunes and Amazon and the internet in general, apparently the score for Spiderman 3 was never released for sale. Only an album with "Music From and Inspired By." (Code for "most of this music was not in the movie at all but we still think we can sucker you into buying it because the movie was so popular.") I'm not the only one irritated by it-- there's an online petition trying to get the score released! I didn't know I was part of a vocal minority that lives for movie scores. Anyway, some members of this group have posted YouTube clips with parts from the score. I was able to find "The Birth of Sandman" as a video (the poster clearly didn't intend us to actually watch his slideshow of Spiderman pictures. It is strictly posted for the music.) So I've been replaying this YouTube clip a lot lately. Probably it's violating some copyright, but the video hasn't been pulled yet so I can keep doing this when I write as long as I have an internet connection.

But why on earth don't the film people or music people or whoever's in charge release the score? Even if it's just for digital download? It can't possibly cost that much with music that's already been recorded. You'd think they'd jump at the chance to wring a few more dollars out of a willing public!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
that's interesting.
i need complete silence to read, write, or think. usually if i go to someone's blog that has music that automatically starts playing i straightaway mute or pause the music because i can't read and listen to music.
Anonymous said…
We must be the same here, Ash. When I listen to music, I'm TOTALLY into the music and usually turn it high to enjoy! It bugs me to hear it in the background when I'm trying to do something else. It breaks my concentration. That is VERY interesting, Heidi. I've never heard of that before. Nice to know, tho.

Popular Posts