In Which a Random Strange Dude Gets My Heart Rate Up (Again)

Did I ever mention that triathlons are addictive?  As soon as I got the go-ahead from my physical therapist to swim again, I signed up for another triathlon in September.  It is the Special Olympics fundraiser, the same event that was my very first ever triathlon.  It's a fun event and well-organized, and most importantly, has a very short swim.

Anyway, I am full blown back into triathlon training.   The good thing is that with a sprint tri I don't have to do too much hard core training because I can already do all three distances.  It's just a matter of keeping in shape and maybe getting a little faster (because I'm pretty slow right now).  The tricky part is trying to fit in training for all three events around five kids, school schedules & homework, nine piano students, cub scouts, activity days and most difficult of all, Terence's schedule.  Most of my training for the cycling part has been on a bike trainer in my living room (my bike has its wheel attached to a magnetic trainer and I sit and ride in place while S naps).  But it's not the same as riding outside, and after a very difficult afternoon yesterday, I took the opportunity after bedtime to get outside on a ride last night.  Terence was home to watch the kids, and I figured that even though it was still 100 degrees, at least the sun was down and I would get some "me time."

It's been nearly two years since I've ridden my bike back among the deserted second phase of our housing development.  Remember the creepy dudes and Mr. Yippy?  They had put me off riding back there, at least when it's dark.  Still, last night I decided to make the loop a couple of times through those empty lots.  After all, it's been several years and it was 9pm rather than 5am.  Surely I wouldn't have any problems!

My first loop up kind of unnerved me a bit.  There were too many streetlights out and a lot of wildlife-- a huge owl swooped right in front of me.  Nighttime is when all the desert animals get active, and I was a little nervous about running into some javelinas or coyotes in the dark.  When I started my second loop, I decided to stick to the main road.  I figured I could just ride out to the dead end and come back again.  Unfortunately, this path still took me through a pitch black section where the streetlights were burned out.  And wouldn't you know it?  When I was riding through this stretch (and getting jumpy in the darkness) a car came up behind me.  At first I was relieved-- the headlights would light up the area way better that my little headlights strapped to the handlebars.  The car slowed way down when it got to me, which at first I figured was just a driver being cautious when they saw my flashing taillights (I have three on the bike).  But when it drew even with me and I looked over, it was a white truck just like the one with the creepy dude following me two years ago!!  He didn't stop (I'm assuming it was a he; in the dark I couldn't see the driver) but he turned up the road where I normally turn for my loop through the empty lot streets.  You know, the streets that no driver has any reason to take.  Of course, I didn't follow that path . . . I continued straight to the dead end like I had planned, turned around and headed back the way I came.  I didn't see the truck again, so he either was fooled by my non-standard-route or he wasn't interested in me in the first place.  But I kept my cell phone in hand and Terence's name up and ready to dial the whole way back down the road, just in case.

That's it.  I'm giving up on that route for good!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
that is so creepy. i think you're smart to just stay out of that area. ive watched too many crime shows, it's not worth the risk!!

Popular Posts