Pep Talk

Oh, I'm creaking around today like I'm into my ninth decade today.  Ouch!!  Yesterday I experienced firsthand one of the serious drawbacks of our new floors.  While heading to the front room with S in my arms, I stepped on a plastic hangar that was lying on the floor right in front of the laundry room.  Zip went my feet, right out from under me!  I came down hard, flat on my back.  I couldn't break my fall at all-- I was too busy trying to hold S up.  The good news was that S was perfectly fine.  The bad news was that I seriously pummeled my back.  Yesterday I had to live off ibuprofen, and today I feel a little better but I'm still very, very sore.

It must have looked pretty funny though!  Too bad no one was watching me.

This morning I'm trying to tackle the new week with a renewed sense of optimism.  (Hopefully it lasts through the day. . . hold on, that doesn't sound very optimistic, does it?)  Anyway, despite the fact that I feel that handling my life is like trying to swim upriver all the time, I had some encouragement from my friends that reminded me that I do manage to get some of the important things done, even if I can't get to everything.  I am trying, and I do make a difference in other people's lives.  I need to remind myself of that more often when I survey the carnage that litters my home and sigh because I can't even manage to keep on top of my own kitchen, let alone the rest of the house.

I know that this week is going to be hectic already-- we have a birthday to celebrate (yay!), annual checkups at the pediatrician for two of the kids, parent teacher conference for three kids, Relief Society enrichment (or whatever it's called now), a gazillion piano lessons, and trying to get caught up on everything that fell apart last week.  Working out may be tricky since S caught another cold (which means no gym child care) and yet I have the triathlon in just a few short weeks.  (Speaking of which, I hope my back is feeling well enough for me to run tomorrow!)  Terence has a crazy work schedule this week so I don't know that he'll be around to help much either.  So my plan is to try and remind myself frequently that yes, my life is busy, and yes, some things are going to fall through the cracks but I need to just try and enjoy the ride as much as possible.  If I still manage to serve others when I have the opportunity, and keep my cool with my family no matter how much pressure I'm under, the week will be a success.  Even if homework doesn't get done perfectly, the meals we eat aren't 100% healthy, and the kids' bathroom looks like a toxic waste dump.  Right?  Right!

Now on to tackle the week!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heidi, I know SO many people, and none of them do as much as you do on a daily basis, and accomplish SO much. You are truly amazing. I remember my days of 5 little ones. I used to have to stop and ask myself "Will this matter in the long run?" You just have to do what you can and hope for the best! I certainly respect and admire you! God bless.
Kaycee said…
You are amazing! My life isn't nearly as hectic as yours and i feel like i can barley stay a float.

Popular Posts