Battle of Wills

Will I ever like running?

Ever?  Maybe?  Enough that I don't dread my runs?

I don't know.  It's been several years since I overcame my prejudice against running and started training for my very first triathlon.  Since then I have kept it up, even though I have been occasionally derailed by things like injuries and pregnancy.  I have run my way through the freezing dark, sloshed through puddles, forced my legs against howling wind, limped along with a protesting ankle, and sweat my way through melting humidity.  None of that sounds like fun, and it isn't.

So why do I keep doing this?

Last night I was asking myself this question for about the millionth time.  Friday nights are hard because Saturday morning is my long run, and each week I seem to dread it more.  (Granted, that may be because I am progressively working up to longer distances so I'll be ready for a trail race in early February, as well as the fact that I lost my iPod back in September.  Running without music is much worse.)  Yet this morning I dutifully laced up my running shoes, bundled S against the cold, and took to the streets pushing the jogging stroller.  We made it 7.5 km, just like my training program called for, even though I spent much of the run repeating my most common mantra, "It doesn't matter how fast I am as long as I finish" to keep myself from coming up with an excuse to cut it short and head home.  I also resorted to mental arguments such as reminding myself that if Kami and Tara and Eric can survive chemo and radiation treatments, I can surely survive the next 11 minutes until I'm allowed to briefly walk.

Running is a mental battle.  A constant struggle between the part of me that likes to be comfortable and the part of me that likes the excitement of finishing a race, the weight loss and the endorphin high when I get done.  Yes, that's why I keep doing this.  In a nutshell, the natural high and the weight loss without cutting everything out of my diet.

I wonder if winning this regular battle of wills is doing me good in other areas of my life?  I hope so.  I would like to think that I am building some mental muscle as well as toning my calves.  Maybe next time I'm tempted to let negative thinking ruin my day I can remember how persistent I am with running and apply that to other areas of my life.  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I can't succeed at it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are amazing!

Popular Posts