All Quiet on the Contraction Front

Yes! The contractions are nearly non-existent again so I am very relieved. Between drinking loads of water and staying off my feet as much as possible, the problem seems to be solved. Thank goodness! I have been feeling extremely lazy-- on Friday my mom came and cleaned up my house and Terence has been insisting that I don't worry about cooking or doing anything. It will be nice to get things going back to normal. I'm planning to go to church today, and we'll see how everything goes.

On Wednesday, Terence took J and B into the pediatrician for their 3 & 5 year checkups. B is doing well, healthy as always, and in the 80% for height and weight. We already kind of suspected that because she weighs nearly as much as her brother and sister, and as a two-year-old was tall enough to go on the 36" rides at Legoland. J is fine too, in the 50% for height and weight. However, he was due for a whole slew of vaccinations, the just-before-kindergarten ones. I think he got DTaP, polio, MMR, and chicken pox. Needless to say, J was one miserable boy for a few days. The funny thing about it was Terence. I don't think he's ever been there for any of the kids' shots before. First, I got a call from the doctor's office from him. "Does our insurance cover vaccinations? Do we want the kids to get them?" Yes, and yes, honey. Then, Terence felt so horrible watching J get poked that he promised to buy him a Transformer to make up for it. After Terence had brought the kids back home and taken off for work, I received several phone calls to check and see how J was doing. He was so worried that J wasn't feeling well.

I remember that hand-wringing anxiety the first few times that M got shots, but after having taken all three kids to get shots countless times, I'm quite callous about it, I guess. A battle-hardened, tough, experienced Mom . . . that makes me sound like some kind of combat soldier. Well, taking the kids to the doctor does feel like a combat experience of sorts. I'm glad it was Terence this time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heidi, I found your blog on Kim's site. I just knew it was you. I'm your dad's cousin, Pete. I loved reading all about your life, and your beautiful kids. May I add you to my blogspot? Tell your parents "Hi" for me. Also, I LOVE your writing. You MUST be an English major!! I really respect that. Check mine out occasionally, too at www.misspete.blogspot.com
Love ya
Cuz Pete
Abby said…
I'm glad the contractions stopped. Phew! And I thought you were against vaccinating your kids? What happened?
Heidi said…
Pete, thanks so much for reading (and your kind praise!) Sure you can add me to your blogspot if you want, and I'll definitely go check your blog out!

Abby, yeah, I was against the shots and it's a long story, but basically I did some further research which left me with a different opinion of the risks my kids were facing-- then did a lot of praying that my kids would come through them OK. So Marianne was a late starter, but Jared and Brie have been vaccinated by the book.

Popular Posts