Now what?

Do you ever have times where you just wonder where your sanity has gone?

I am having one of those days. I wish I could just go hide under my covers and make everything go away, but I still have the bedtime grind to go through. It's the hardest part of my day-- I'm exhausted, achy, and anxious to have time to myself. The kids are whiny, hyperactive, and argumentative and willing to do whatever it takes to postpone bedtime. Yet at this time I have to make sure that homework is finished up, jammies are on, teeth are brushed (after hunting down all the toothbrushes again), scriptures and stories are read, and prayers are said. And of course, I have to manage all of this on my own because Terence is still only halfway through his work shift.

So far I've had a wracking day, including an alarm that didn't go off in the morning, a race to get M to school on time, forty pounds of worksheets to lug in to her teacher, a trip up to town to get my weekly shot, a fully destroyed kitchen to clean up (I've run the dishwasher twice and done a sinkful of dishes by hand twice,) the regular run to pickup M from school, a Walmart trip with all three kids, bills to pay, homework police duty, dinner to prepare, and finally, a key lime pie to make. I still have yet another load of dishes to do and thoroughly nasty counters to scrub. Not to mention that my body is screaming in protest every time I move-- my lower belly just feels like it is ripping away from my body.

So I'm losing it. I've already shouted "Shut up!" at J when he came crying to me for the 500th time about something I just can't jump up and fix for him. (He and M managed to break his bookshelf.) The poor kid flinched away from me in horror and sprinted off to his room. Then M, who is supposed to be doing homework in her room under pain of death, appeared to rebuke me. "Mommy, you said a bad word to J!" She's right, "shut up" is forbidden in our house, but that didn't help my temper any so I yelled at her to get out.

I know better, I really do. But "knowing" doesn't always translate into "doing." Why can't I just be patient, even when I'm tired and in pain?

Oh, please let this day end quickly....

Comments

VKMyers said…
It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not the only one out there who struggles to keep her sanity. Motherhood isn't always all it's cracked up to be...unless shredded nerves, blown tempers, time outs, and the wish of a day just ending is what it's all about. ;o) Glad that things turned out for the better though. It is amazing what a few words can do to make you feel so much better.

Popular Posts