Now What? Part 2

So I'm feeling much better this morning. It's amazing what a good night's sleep will do to restore your sanity.

Last night I gave up on trying to have a normal bedtime. Sometimes I think it's better to just cut your losses before things get even worse. I skipped the dishes-- I'll work on them this morning-- and after only a short unsuccessful hunt for the mysterious disappearing toothbrushes, I even skipped the toothbrushing. We still read scriptures together and had family prayer, but I also chose not to read stories. Instead the kids had twenty minutes in their rooms to look at books themselves.

It was a lifesaver. At the end of all that, instead of screaming even more, I was able to sit down and apologize to my kids and remind them how much I really love them. Then, I went and climbed into the bathtub. Reading a little bit of The Lord of the Rings was also oddly helpful; after all, my kids may be a challenge, but at least they are not orcs.

At 9:00 Terence called from work and the whole substance of his phone call was how much he appreciates how hard I work and how he wants to help me more. He was kind enough to tell me that without everything I do, our family would just fall apart. Now that was a huge comforting phone call, so on that note, I went to bed.

Today I'm all ready to face it all again, but hopefully, this time I will do better at keeping my perspective!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heidi, I love reading your blog. You are an inspiration to all of us! What a smart woman and mother/wife. It can sure be hard when we're raising our kids, but I can tell you have the stamina and strength to endure and do well.
Keep up the great blogging.
Love ya,
Pete
P.S. Thanks for the birthday wish.
Ashlie Dalton said…
Glad to hear you are feeling better. I can relate in some way... even though I only have a one year old I still have moments that I lose it. It can be stressful and demanding to be a mom! Sounds like you are doing a great job though!!!

Popular Posts